Machaca con Huevo (Machaca with Eggs)

machaca_con_huevo

Traditional machaca is marinated beef or pork that is rubbed with spices, pounded, dried, and shredded similar to beef jerky. Back in the old days (before my time) my grandma used to do this and have beef hanging with nets protecting it from any flies or bugs. Drying meat was originally developed for ranchers, cowboys, and miners of northern Mexico before the arrival of refrigeration.

Machaca can then be rehydrated and made into flautas, tacos, or burritos. But my favorite way to eat machaca is with scrambled eggs, tomatoes, and onions for a delicious skillet breakfast or machaca con huevo burritos. If you want some added heat you can also toss in some finely diced jalapeño or garnish with homemade salsa.

As you can imagine I don’t have any beef hanging out to dry, so I made this recipe using leftover shredded brisket. Remember when we made these shredded beef brisket flautas? We were sure to double the recipe so that we can have plenty of brisket leftover to make this modern machaca recipe. But if you want to try the old fashioned version, try to find packaged carne seca (dried meat) sold in Latin supermarkets.

This breakfast is so simple to make and served in a skillet is perfect for camping or a comforting meal to serve a house full of guests. The holidays will soon be here, so if you are planning to have familia visit be sure to welcome them with this flavorful meal for breakfast.

machaca

Print Save

Machaca con Huevo (Machaca with Eggs)

Yield: 6 servings

Tender shredded beef combined with scrambled eggs, tomatoes, and onions make a delicious skillet breakfast or breakfast burritos.

1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup red onion, chopped
2 roma tomatoes, chopped
1 jalapeño, diced (optional)
2 cups shredded brisket or carne seca (dried meat)
8 eggs
Salsa of your choice
Flour tortillas

In a large skillet, sauté onion in olive oil for 2 minutes. Once onions are translucent add tomato, jalapeño (if using), brisket or carne seca and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk eggs and then add them to skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until eggs are cooked thoroughly.

Serve with salsa of your choice and flour tortillas.

More recipes available at www.muybuenocookbook.com

Written by Yvette / Photos by Yvette

Please keep in touch and subscribe to Muy Bueno and follow me on TwitterFacebookInstagram, and check out the Muy Bueno cookbook.

11 Responses to “Machaca con Huevo (Machaca with Eggs)”

Debra — September 23, 2013 @ 10:03 pm

This is a mouth watering recipe! I can’t wait to give it a try!

Lea Ann (Cooking On The Ranch) — September 24, 2013 @ 5:54 am

I was going to say, I didn’t see any beef hanging in your house when we were over for brunch. :) This looks delicious Yvette. Now if I can just get myself to make your home made flour tortillas, I’ll be in business. Thanks for a great recipe.

Heather — September 24, 2013 @ 7:05 am

Looks like a perfect cool weather breakfast! Can’t wait to give it a try!

Holly — September 24, 2013 @ 9:57 am

What a hearty breakfast, I’d love something like this after a morning run. Maybe I could make most of it the day before then add the eggs in just before serving?

Aunt Clara — September 24, 2013 @ 1:58 pm

That is some hearty breakfast. I bet one feels like tackling a horse and lassoing some cows after that. :)

Great idea for a weekend brunch.

• Muy Bueno replied: — October 2nd, 2013 @ 2:16 pm

Your comment cracked me up Clara! Thanks for the chuckle Amiga.

Karen Harris — September 24, 2013 @ 5:54 pm

This looks like a real plate of Texas. It has been too long since I have been home and your recipe isn’t helping my homesickness. This looks delicious Yvette. I’m on my way over.

Patricia Guerra — September 26, 2013 @ 7:25 am

Where can you buy the dried meat from?

• Muy Bueno replied: — September 26th, 2013 @ 10:36 pm

Hola Patricia,

You can use brisket like I used, but of course you can buy dried meat too, which is sold at Latin supermarkets. You might even be able to order online too. Best of luck!

Alicia Bal — October 4, 2013 @ 2:15 am

I love machaca! Thanks for posting this recipe. Your cookbook is one of my favorites and our family has enjoyed every recipe I’ve made.

• Muy Bueno replied: — October 5th, 2013 @ 4:00 pm

Gracias Alicia! Thank you so much for your sweet comment and I am thrilled to hear you and your family loves our cookbook.