Huevos Rancheros a la Bandera

I love eggs. I love eggs any style, scrambled, over-easy, hard boiled, in an omelet, egg salad, deviled eggs, or sunny side up; you name it and I’ll eat them. When I was little, on occasion, our grandma would make us a ponche. A ponche was her version of a milkshake. Grandma’s ponche is a tall glass of milk, some vanilla extract, a banana, ice, a raw egg, and a dash of ground cinnamon all blended to make a morning milkshake. I know raw eggs, I wouldn’t dream of giving this to my kids today or even making me one, but it was a different time when I was little.

Anyhow, in spite of all the different ways I love to eat eggs I have to say my mom never made us huevos rancheros. Actually I think she made them, we just never called them that. When I first saw huevos rancheros on a breakfast menu at a Mexican restaurant, being that I love eggs so much I had to order them. When my plate arrived I thought I had just entered my mom or grandma’s kitchen. Picture this, two soft fried corn tortillas, with a thin layer of your favorite spicy sauce, an over easy egg on top of the sauce, sprinkled with your favorite cheese, and topped with salsa. I thought I would melt just looking at the dish. Oh, don’t forget the refried beans on the side.

This has to be one of the easiest breakfast dishes to make and one I never tire of. It’s like an open faced egg sandwich for me, but better. When I make huevos rancheros I like to serve it with some sliced avocados, a side of frijoles de la olla if I have some on hand, and a hot cup of café. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and this is right up there with chilaquiles. The thought of both of these spicy dishes make my mouth water.

If you’ve never tried huevos rancheros you may want to try this easy recipe. Remember, this dish is different for almost every family and the more you make these the more you will personalize the toppings to make them your own. I personally like mine a bit spicy so feel free to modify the recipe by adding your salsa and toppings of choice.

Have you tried huevos rancheros? What are your favorite toppings?

Print Save

Huevos Rancheros a la Bandera

Yield: Makes 2 Servings

2 tablespoons canola oil (for frying), divided
½ yellow onion, ½ sliced, and ½ chopped
1 (12 ounce can) chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
¼ green bell pepper, chopped
1 roma tomato, chopped
4 corn tortillas
4 eggs
1 avocado, pitted and sliced
Cilantro

Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil over medium heat in a skillet. Add the sliced onions and sauté for about 3 minutes or just until the onion is soft.

In a blender add the sautéed onions and chipotle chiles with sauce and blend until smooth.

In a skillet over medium heat add 2 teaspoons of canola oil. When the oil is hot add the chopped green pepper and chopped onion and sauté for about 3 minutes.

Add tomato and continue to sauté for about 1 minute. Set aside or place in the oven to keep warm.

In a frying pan add 1 tablespoon of canola oil and soft fry two corn tortillas. Place the tortillas on a plate. Spread about one tablespoon of the chipotle sauce on each tortilla.

Fry two eggs over easy and place one over each soft fried tortilla. Add some of the sautéed mixture over the egg, sprinkle with queso fresco or your cheese of choice and garnish with cilantro.

Serve with sliced avocados, and a hot cup of café. Sabroso!

Written by Veronica / Photos by Veronica

18 Responses to “Huevos Rancheros a la Bandera”

Rosa — September 16, 2012 @ 11:41 pm

Scrumptious and so healthy! A fantastic dish.

Cheers,

Rosa

• Muy Bueno replied: — September 17th, 2012 @ 7:52 am

Gracias, Rosa! Happy eating!

Victoria at Flavors of the Sun — September 17, 2012 @ 7:20 am

I love eggs as well–especially Mexican eggs, any style (and there are so many). But I must say that rancheros are a real favorite. I eat them out all the time, but rarely make them at home though I can’t think why. You have inspired me yet again!

• Muy Bueno replied: — September 17th, 2012 @ 7:50 am

Victoria, thanks for stopping by, again…de nada amiga…this chipotle salsita is great! I think you’re really going to like it.

• Muy Bueno replied: — October 7th, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

Victoria, so glad you want to make some huevos rancheros at home…this recipe is so simple and the flavors packed in one bite are truly mind boggling. When I took the pictures for these the eggs were already cold but I thought why not. I ate one of the two and they were still pretty darn good.

vangie — September 17, 2012 @ 8:33 am

This breakfast plate looks sooo good. better than I’ve seen in any resturant. Though I would have it with scrambled, please, but with all the rest. But I will have yours, Thank you, luv u mija……..

Karen Harris — September 17, 2012 @ 9:13 am

Oh yum, I haven’t had breakfast yet and you are killing me! With fall setting in I will soon be re-establishing the Sunday morning cooked breakfast at our house and everyone will love this. I can’t wait to give it a try.

• Muy Bueno replied: — October 7th, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

Hi Karen, Sunday morning breakfast is the best! So excited to hear that you’d love our Huevos Rancheros to be on your Sunday menu…caution, this chipotle salsa is spicy but VERRRRy addictive.

Monique — September 17, 2012 @ 11:01 am

Even though I’ve already eaten breakfast, I find myself incredibly hungry… for some delicious huevos rancheros!! Mmm, they’re my faves! <3
    I really shouldn't read your blog while I'm at work – it makes me hungry for the rest of the day, haha!

• Muy Bueno replied: — October 7th, 2012 @ 2:10 pm

You’re too funny! Maybe our tagline should be, enter at your own risk, you might get hungry and start licking the screen!

Eliana — September 17, 2012 @ 8:01 pm

Eggs never looked so delicious.

Stephanie — September 26, 2012 @ 11:34 pm

Chile verde does it for me when it comes to huevos rancheros. Especially with aguacate!

• Muy Bueno replied: — October 7th, 2012 @ 1:58 pm

Stephanie chile verde is awesome too! I love using up leftover chile verde to make huevos rancheros too, it is an amazing combo!

Cathy jones — September 30, 2012 @ 9:48 am

I can’t wait to see your cookbook in my kitchen! I am so proud of you and your family!

• Muy Bueno replied: — October 7th, 2012 @ 1:44 pm

Ahhhh Thank you Cathy…Can’t wait to hear what you think of it…the idea of a cookbook started way back when I was on Okinawa. That’s when I began missing mom’s and grandma’s recipes the most. That’s when mom started mailing me handwritten recipes…this book was lonnnnng overdue, but yet, perfect timing. Besos!

Melissa Vasquez — October 12, 2012 @ 10:57 am

My Grandma used to make us a ponche but it was warm and frothy from beating the egg whites. I’ve asked so many people about ponche and everyone thinks I’m referring to punch. So glad to see you mention ponche!! I’ve yet to perfect my Grandma’s recipe but have so many fond memories thinking of it.

• Muy Bueno replied: — October 15th, 2012 @ 2:14 pm

Melissa glad to hear your abuela used the word “ponche” too. I remember them like it was yesterday…and yes they were always so frothy. Write the recipe down somewhere, so you never forget it. :)

Blanca — March 2, 2013 @ 8:55 pm

Ahhh, ponche or licuados, my dad made those for us and I still make them to this day. They are definitely a once in a while treat.