How to Make Cascarones

Coloring eggshells, filling them with confetti, hiding them for our Easter egg hunt, and then breaking them on the head of someone else has always been a part of our Easter tradition. The day before Easter we had a blast making cascarones (confetti eggs). Every color of the rainbow was beautifully displayed. Today we continue the tradition with our own children. It’s always so much fun to see each person’s creativity during egg coloring time. The kids really get into it and every year they get more and more creative.

Supplies

Eggshells

Easter egg color kit

Vinegar (optional for vibrant colored eggs)

Scissors

Tissue paper, cut into small squares

Glue

Paper confetti or hole punched construction paper

Instructions

Gently tap the top of an egg.

Peel away a small 1/2 inch hole.

Empty contents of the egg out into a bowl.

Thoroughly rinse the eggshell and shake out excess water. Let the eggshell air dry upside down in an empty egg carton.

Dye the eggshells using an egg coloring kit.

When the eggshells are dry fill with confetti.

Once filled, apply glue around the outside of the hole and cover with tissue paper.

Make a dozen or more and celebrate Easter by breaking your cascarones over your friends’ or family members’ heads.

Legend has it that it’s good luck if you have a cascarón broken over one’s head.

Will you be making cascarones this year with your children?

Written by Yvette / Photos by Jeanine

Adorable photo of li’l Danica courtesy of my cousin Brenda

28 Responses to “How to Make Cascarones”

Ansh — March 15, 2012 @ 9:42 pm

What a Beautiful tradition. I don’t have any Easter traditions but Hey I can always start one! no?

Lorraine Williams — March 15, 2012 @ 9:44 pm

made the Beef Brisket Tacos recipe….delicious….will have to attempt these cascarones….

Heather @girlichef — March 16, 2012 @ 7:20 am

Oh my gosh, thank you for this tutorial. I love it! I’ll be making these this year! =) And the photos are such attention grabbers – gorgeous.

Flavors of the Sun — March 16, 2012 @ 7:54 am

I never made these myself, but I certainly bought plenty of them for my son when he was young. One oh his great joys was going to the Jardín/Zócolo to smash cascarones on heads with the other kids. I loved it when the eggs were always filled with confetti, as you have done, but not so much when flour and glitter became popular. This post brings back a lot of happy memories for me. Thanks.

Patricia Frymyer — March 16, 2012 @ 7:54 am

These are beautiful…is this a Mexican tradition or Latin tradition? Just wondering because I am so desperately trying to encourage my son to be proud of his Dominican background and my step-daughter to be proud of her Puerto Rican background. My gringa family has no traditions because there’s no love…I do NOT want to spend the rest of my life without the love and unity that all families should have – so I have to start my own traditions with my new familia! Muy Bueno has reminded me of the importance of family, traditions, heritage etc. MUCHAS GRACIAS! :)

• Muy Bueno replied: — March 18th, 2012 @ 12:25 pm

Patricia, follow your heart. Sounds like you’re ready to start some of your own family traditions. Home is where your heart is and your family will look to you for all the great traditions you create con amor. BTW, these cascarones are a Mexican tradition. Besitos!!

Ana_ILTdP — March 16, 2012 @ 9:46 am

Hola!
    It’s so beautiful to see colors everywhere :D
    I like very much the idea of breaking eggs in another’s head ;) I will do them when I have children.
    In Spain we don’t have that tradition, and I wonder why, because it’s lovely!

vangie — March 16, 2012 @ 10:23 am

This brings a lot of wonderful memories, with my children, Veronica, Michael and Yvette. Now I get to relive these memories with my beautiful grandchildren. It’s so much fun watching the kids running around hunting for the cacarones, then the real fun starts. Breaking them on everybody’s head.

Lea Ann — March 17, 2012 @ 7:19 am

Beautiful!!!!! I’ve never heard of this tradition and I love it.

Ben — March 18, 2012 @ 8:34 am

I remember making this at school when I was a kid. I had an advantage, though. The cooks would save all the eggs at my parents’ restaurant so I was always the one with the most eggs to break over kids’ heads. It was a lot of fun!

• Muy Bueno replied: — March 18th, 2012 @ 12:26 pm

Lucky Ben…you must have been quite popular with your dozens of cascarones.

Jenny Bonfiglio — March 23, 2012 @ 10:48 pm

This is going to be so fun!!!!!! I hope we’re lucky!

My kiddies love Cascarones! They buy a big bag every Sunday in el jardin downtown. Here it’s more of a Sunday tradition than an Easter tradition. Hubby says that when he was a teenager, boys and/or girls would break the cascarones on the head of the boy or girl that they liked. :)

I like to hide them as Easter eggs for the kiddies and then let them have an egg fight outside. :)

Donaville — April 3, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

This looks like absolute fun! Definitely going to have to give it a try one of these years.

Dariela — April 4, 2012 @ 2:31 pm

How pretty! I never knew about this until I moved here to California, I lived 3 years in mexico city and never saw them!!

I didn’t know about this tradition. I really like it!
    The tutorial is excellent :)

vianney — April 4, 2012 @ 3:50 pm

My in laws make a TON of these and sell them every year. they have been selling for almost 12 years and the same customers keep coming back year after year!! so much fun!

hilke — April 4, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

CUTE!!!! Thanks

what a great and super cute idea to do with the kids, especially now that they’re on spring break. just in time for Easter this weekend. Very interactive and engaging!

Sujeiry — April 4, 2012 @ 5:29 pm

I have been seeing these everywhere! Never did these as a child. So cute and I will definitely pass it on to my sister so she can do this with my niece.

Comiendo en LA — April 4, 2012 @ 8:40 pm

Beautiful pictures!!! I would love to do this! The same as Sujeiry, never did it when I was little.

Sara — April 5, 2012 @ 1:45 pm

I’m excited to try your tutorial this week! I am making a wedding cake that takes 30 eggs and instead of wasting the shells my kids and I will be making cascarones for our Easter get-together on Sunday! I love it when I get to save and use things that would normally be just trash :)

Yvonne Marquez — April 6, 2012 @ 6:30 pm

Loved the story and the pictures! How wonderful to see that people still keep up the tradition. Yes, its work but so worth it! We are orginally from Brownsville, Texas and then moved to Wisconsin! Its crazy cold and not too many Easter egg hunts in the snow. Mami instisted we still carry the tradition. Now with my own family we still make them every year!
    Thank you!

Viva Cascarones — April 7, 2012 @ 9:25 am

I have fantastic memories of growing up in San Antonio with cascarones. Everyone made them (even if we weren’t Hispanic – our predominantly Anglo elementary school made them too as a craft for kids when I was growing up; I am non-Hispanic black). It was just part of the local flavor and culture of Fiesta, which happens in San Antonio every April. We didn’t make them when we moved to New Mexico. But now we’re in DC and attempt to make them every year. It’s a reminder of “home.” :-)

Irma — April 10, 2012 @ 9:33 am

My kids love making cascarones! We actually use streamers, instead of tissue paper. We simply “glue” the streamer strips with plain water. It makes it easier and less of a mess. Love the pictures in your tutorial!

Zita — May 15, 2012 @ 2:56 am

Fantastic website

Smiley face:) — July 1, 2012 @ 1:26 pm

Making these for the fourth of july–why keep such a fun, special tradition to just one holiday? The eggs will be red, white, and blue! Thanks for the idea!

Debbie — March 22, 2013 @ 12:44 pm

My family has been coloring, filling and cracking eggs over our heads for 4 generations! I am 56 yrs old and eggs have been cracked over heads for at least that long…longer. Its so funny to break in new non-Latino members of the family. They think we’re crazy. The hunt is supposed to be for little kids, no teenagers or adults..but those teenagers and adults always manage to grab a few eggs for themselves. My daughters fiance is working on his 3rd year of cascarone hunting. He LOVES it! It took me an entire year to save 9 doz eggs. I started last Easter, a yr ago, and finally hit my goal of 10 doz eggs.