Ensalada de Pitaya, Kiwi, y Mango (Dragon Fruit, Kiwi, and Mango Salad)

Spring is in the air, or close by. My taste buds are yearning for summer fruits and produce and everything that comes with it: sandals, a pretty pedicure, sleeveless summer dresses, tank tops, and trips to the farmer’s market.

This will be my first spring and summer living in Germany and I’m already gearing up for those open air markets and the warmer weather. Okay back to reality in chilly Germany. I’m shopping at the local supermarket in my warm thick socks, winter boots, long coat, and scarf (not quite the vision of spring). I swing around my cute little mini shopping cart and I see these bright fuchsia odd looking fruits. My eyeballs quickly scan for a description and I read, “Dragon Fruit, $3.49 each”. Okay now I’m really curious. This wildly exotic fish looking fruit costs how much? Now I have to buy one, take it home, find out what it is, and better yet taste it. The anticipation is more than I can bear.

Once home I quickly jump on the internet and discover that dragon fruit, also known as pitaya in Spanish is part of the cacti family. Pictures are plastered all over the internet and there are mixed reviews about the taste and origin. Hmmm, I look quizzically at the fruit and now knowing what it looks like inside (having seen all the pictures online) I decide to wait to open it until I can figure out what to do with it. How long was that you ask? Oh heck, it wasn’t long…I paid a mint for it and I couldn’t wait to taste it. On my search I also found out that dragon fruit is quite nutritional. It is said to date back to the Central American Aztecs of the 13th century but you can now find it in several places like Southeast Asia, Mexico, Israel, and South America.

The next day as I was cutting open a kiwi I got an idea for the dragon fruit…thank goodness for inspiration because at this point my husband was dying to have me plunge into the darn fruit already. He was even looking for recipes online. The day I bought the kiwi and dragon fruit I also picked up some mangos. So you guessed it, I thought about putting all three together for an easy and tropical salad. Not only is this salad a sight for sore eyes, it’s also a great side dish or dessert and perfect for the Lenten season.

When I finally cut into the the fruit and quickly shoved a piece into my mouth it did have the same texture as a kiwi but not as sweet. I kept waiting for something more exciting but alas, nada, nothing. Once I mixed it around with the chopped kiwi and mangos it picked up some of their flavor. I keep hearing that there is a different variety that is pink on the inside and is somewhat sweeter. Now where can I get my hand on one of those?

Have you ever tasted a dragon fruit?

Print Save

Ensalada de Pitaya, Kiwi, y Mango (Dragon Fruit, Kiwi, and Mango Salad)

Yield: Serves 4

1 dragon fruit
2 kiwi, peeled and diced
1 mango, peeled and diced

Split the dragon fruit in half. While still in the peel, cube only the flesh, while still in the outer peel and scoop out with a spoon and place in a medium mixing bowl. Take the other half of the fruit, cut two slices to use as a garnish. Cube the remainder of the dragon fruit, scoop out, and add it to the other fruit.

Add the diced kiwi and mango. Toss gently. Spoon fruit into four separate serving dishes. Garnish with half a slice of dragon fruit and mint.

Written by Veronica / Photos by Veronica

11 Responses to “Ensalada de Pitaya, Kiwi, y Mango (Dragon Fruit, Kiwi, and Mango Salad)”

Flavors of the Sun — March 9, 2012 @ 7:32 am

Pitaya is just so beautiful, as is kiwi. And then the flavor of my favorite fruit, mango. Ah…heaven. Lovely salad.

LuAnne — March 9, 2012 @ 7:59 am

This looks beautiful and yummy — can’t wait to try it!

Heather @girlichef — March 9, 2012 @ 5:13 pm

You know, I’ve never tried dragon fruit…but I’ve always wanted to. If for nothing else than to say I did and see the beauty first-hand! This tropical fruit salad looks so refreshing…I think I’d love it!

Meghan — March 9, 2012 @ 5:38 pm

I was in Barcelona two years ago and they were searving agua frescas with dragon fruit + any other fruit you can think of. I loved the seed texture that the dragon fruit gave to the drink. I have been searching for one since but I am hard pressed to find one.

• Muy Bueno replied: — March 16th, 2012 @ 5:26 am

Wow Barcelona…how exciting! Dragon fruit as an agua fresca, quite intriguing, I may have to buy some more fruit and give it a try. Hope you find some Dragon Fruit in your area…if you can’t try an Asian market…good luck!

I love pitayas! And your salad is so gorgeous. Stunning color combination. :) I think kiwis are the perfect match for pitayas. The flavor and texture are very similar.

Pitayas never last that long in my house to use them for anything else. (And we buy like 40 to 50 at a time!) Of course, the ones we have here in Jalisco are a little different (and much sweeter in my opinion), but the texture is the same. :)

• Muy Bueno replied: — March 16th, 2012 @ 5:28 am

You buy 40 to 50! I wanna come to you. I hear that the Dragon Fruit that is pink on the inside is sweeter…send me a picture so I can see what it looks like in pink…it must be just as gorgeous.

Eliana — March 14, 2012 @ 9:40 am

I have never had dragon fruit but it looks so darn whimsical how can I not try it.

Ana_ILTdP — March 15, 2012 @ 7:37 am

I haven’t tried pitaya, but I’ve heard it has a very neutral flavor, right?

I love fruit salads!! Yours looks fantastic and refreshing :)

• Muy Bueno replied: — March 16th, 2012 @ 5:30 am

thanks, Ana, they are exactly that, very neutral, but with the same texture as the kiwi. I keep reading that those that are pink on the inside are much sweeter. I would love to get my hands on one of those.

Malice — June 14, 2012 @ 6:20 pm

I’ve had dragonfruit (the kind with white inside a few times). It costs about $5 (!) here in Florida and has absolutely no flavor (though it would be a good way to thicken a sauce or something). However, drinks flavored with dragonfruit (ex. POM Wonderful) are delicious. However, Since dragonfruit flavored Vitamin Water is pink, I assume that drinks with dragonfruit use the type of dragonfruit with pink flesh inside.