Veronica of Muy Bueno has moved to Germany

Fate has a peculiar way of rearing its quirky head and it made its way to our home a few months ago. Someone once said, “Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.” Steve (my hubby) and I have longed for years to live in Europe. You might remember that we met and lived in Okinawa. For years we have jokingly said that once our two kids could pack their own backpack we were going to move overseas again. As fate would have it, Steve received a job offer to teach in Germany. Yes you heard that right, Germany. And I am teaching Spanish to American children who are here in Germany with their active duty parents. After eleven years in California, our little family of four closes a memorable chapter in California and begins a new one in Deutschland.

We have now been here in Germany for about ninety days and it seems like a lifetime since we moved here. So much has happened since we got here. Our family has celebrated our first Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Eve in Germany. The Christmas Markets were truly more beautiful than I ever imagined. We really are in the land of Christmas. As the year progresses, we look forward to learning about and celebrating German holidays, learning to speak German, eating lots of schnitzel, and of course testing lots of good German beer and wine.

We feel incredibly lucky to be living here and giving our two kids the opportunity of a lifetime to travel and learn about Europe by experiencing it first hand. We plan on doing lots of traveling all over Europe over the next three years. If we like it tons, we may even stay longer. As far as family life goes, our days are quite normal. Our daughter has ballet twice a week and our son has hockey practice twice a week. School, homework, practice, and work fill our week. Our weekends and holidays are filled with exploring Europe and Germany.

Last week we were in Paris for the weekend and it was an amazing trip. But that’s a different story for another day. Look for that post in February as we share our love for the city of lights.

To all our wonderful family and friends reading this, we miss you and wish you were here. If we could magically make you all appear on our doorstep we would but since we can’t just know that we are only a phone call, Skype visit, facebook message or email away. Our wilkommen (welcome) mat is always present and your visit is always welcome. Thank you for all the beautiful memories in California. So as we close the chapter in California we want to say thanks for the trips to Vegas, camping trips, girl’s weekends, Sundays at the beach, couple’s date nights, parties, limo rides, block parties, barbeques, wine tasting events, poker nights ‘til 3 am, movie nights, dinner parties, theme parties, game nights, hockey games, dance recitals, birthday celebrations, and hanging out with us just because. We carry with us a little bit of each one of you in each one of those memories.

Last week as I was unpacking a mountain of boxes, at one point I was overwhelmed by the number of items I unpacked that were gifts from you, our loving friends that were given to us over the last eleven years. We truly are blessed with loving and caring family and friends.

So with this move I guess one third of Muy Bueno is now in Germany. Now that my kitchen is all set up, I can’t wait to experiment with all the new ingredients that are made available to me in German markets. I can’t wait to give it the Muy Bueno Mexican twist. I love that we will be close to France and maybe, just maybe I will bump into David Lebovitz, somewhere in the streets of Paris who is, living the sweet life in Paris.

I will continue to blog and work on the cookbook with mom and my sister, Yvette. I look forward to having more time to work on several other assignments coming up. I’m looking forward to working on my photography skills and experimenting with some of our recipes and creating new ones. I can’t wait to explore the endless cuisines throughout Europe, castles, ruins, cafes, fashions, museums, and cities I’ve only read about in textbooks. More importantly I get to do this with Steve, the love of my life, and our two children.

To all of you who will continue to follow Muy Bueno on our blog, facebook, or twitter it’s going to be a great ride so buckle up and get ready for a new dimension to your Muy Bueno experience.

Raise your glass with me; cheers, salud, and prost to all that is muy bueno!

Written by Veronica / Photos by Veronica

19 Responses to “Veronica of Muy Bueno has moved to Germany”

Cristina — February 2, 2012 @ 4:49 am

Enjoy your time there! It passed by so quickly for us. We’ve only been in the states for a month and we miss Germany so much. I can’t wait to read about all your adventures!

• Muy Bueno Cookbook replied: — February 2nd, 2012 @ 7:19 am

Cristina, good luck back in the states and getting adjusted. Stay tuned for more travel adventures. Mi casa es tu casa..

Heather @girlichef — February 2, 2012 @ 5:26 am

So exciting! What an amazing opportunity.

• Muy Bueno Cookbook replied: — February 2nd, 2012 @ 7:19 am

Yes, we are super excited about what we’ve been able to see, do and experience already. Stay tuned for more…

Donna — February 2, 2012 @ 10:26 am

How wonderful and such a great opportunity! Very different food to learn about and cook but I would really miss my Pozole and your Chicken Tinga recipe! I have heard that chills pasado are hard to get in Europe. But that was a while ago so enjoy your time there! I can’t get Yerba Mate here in the Chicago area lately, so I guess online shopping is good for some things!

• Muy Bueno replied: — February 22nd, 2012 @ 1:01 pm

Donna for those items I can’t find here I will be doing some online shopping.

Amberini — February 2, 2012 @ 11:05 am

I think you’ll love it. I fell in love with a German man and packed off to Germany about two years ago. I’m still here. I live about near Berlin in a city called Potsdam. If you find yourself wanting to talk about life here, I’d be happy to chat. :) Whereabouts are you in Deutschland?

• Muy Bueno replied: — February 22nd, 2012 @ 1:03 pm

Amberini, glad to hear you are in Germany…I live near Ramstein. Thanks for the offer. I will be in touch I’m sure. Thanks for stopping by our little home here…please come back to visit.

Kathy Valdez — February 2, 2012 @ 11:05 am

As a military family we too lived in Germany, twice! That was a lifetime ago, but we still relish the memories of all that we experiencd, all the places we got to visit, all the food we ate! What wonderful things you’ll see and do! We were fortunate enough to live in Bavaria the first time and then in Idar Oberstein the second time around…so we did a lot of touring on the weekends! You will love the food and soon realize it’s not only schnitzel and bratwurst! Look for spiesbraten!! I look forward to reading more of your adventures! Enjoy!

• Muy Bueno replied: — February 22nd, 2012 @ 1:02 pm

thanks Kathy…we really are enjoying our life here. The week is the usual family craziness but the weekends and long weekends are reserved for traveling and food tasting. Look for more adventures throughout Europe coming soon. Hint: next travel post will be about our trip to Paris…stay tuned.

jeannette edwards — February 2, 2012 @ 9:57 pm

It’s truly a joy to read about all your wonderful adventures in my beloved Deutschland. Viel Spass und Freude beim Deutschlernen…..and just in case you were wondering you are also missed much at CMS, especially your insights and opinions!!! ( You would not like our ELD adoption, which I do not enjoy teaching and I often wonder what you would have to say about it) Fortunately you have more interesting things now to voice opinions about……Looking forward to hearing more.

• Muy Bueno replied: — February 22nd, 2012 @ 1:03 pm

Hi Jeannette it’s so great to hear from you! We really are loving life here…currently we have snow and the cold crisp air, as cold as it is, is a nice change from hot weather…I await the spring with much anticipation and doing some gardening..can’t wait for the schpargle (sp)in the spring. Stay tuned for more…coming soon.

Maggie Ingersoll — February 3, 2012 @ 11:06 pm

Hi Veronica
    The girls say hello! We miss you at CMS. I share your blog and fb updates with them also. What a wonderful experience for you and your family. Glad to see the kids are enjoying Europe and have settled in! Looking forward to hearing more and seeing all the photos!

• Muy Bueno replied: — February 22nd, 2012 @ 1:02 pm

Hi Maggie…hugs to you and the girls…they are growing up tooo quickly and are both so beautiful, just like their mama…thanks for staying in touch…let us know when you plan on visiting…

Katiepies — February 4, 2012 @ 8:32 am

You know we are loving the pictures and stories. Miss you guys terribly but are so happy for you. Need any chili’s yet? You have 4 months to get our room ready. Keep posting!! :)

Suzy Gue — February 4, 2012 @ 11:57 pm

Am so glad you and your wonderful family has such a great opportunity. You have hit the ground running and the kids are into all their favorite hobbies. You and Steve are a remarkable couple and adventure is in the air. Miss you.

• Muy Bueno replied: — February 22nd, 2012 @ 1:01 pm

Hi My Sweet Suzy…you are too kind my sweets…We are one busy family I tell you…Here or there, it’s utter craziness during the week, loving it nonetheless.

Kris Johnstone — February 13, 2012 @ 6:09 pm

Hellllooooo Smiths!!! How fun to be able to see the pics as well as hear about your travels. Screw this parenting stuff! I just want to be one of your kids!!!! :) I went back to work temporary part-time till about April (have to get a little golf in before they get out of school). My fiftieth bday was going to spent in Germany…maybe I’ll move that up? Love staying in touch. xoxoxo Kris

11. 10.1
    Muy Bueno Cookbook — February 10, 2012 @ 6:12 pm

The room is slowly coming together…will have it all ready for you when you come…miss you too…thanks for the offer..I will be sending you my list of things to send veryyyy soon my dear…