Chicken Tortilla Soup (a guest post)

Please welcome writer and photographer: Nancy, the talented blogger and photographer from Spicie Foodie.

Today we are sharing a warm bowl of soup with our cyber-amiga who tried out our recipe and made it her own by adding a few personal touches. She is a talented photographer who now lives in Prague and is staying true to her Mexican roots. On her wonderful blog she shares her love of Mexican, Indian, and Thai cuisine. Both her photography and dishes are amazing and we encourage you to visit her beautiful site. Recently she interviewed the three of us. You can check out that interview on her blog.

Photography by Spicie Foodie.

Nancy ~ Hi everyone, my name is Nancy and I write the blog Spicie Foodie. I’m so excited to be guest posting on one of my favorite blogs. You loyal Muy Bueno Cookbook readers already know what makes this blog so special. For me some of the most special things are family traditions and the love behind each recipe.

When our lovely host Yvette invited me to try out one of her family’s recipes I knew it would be hard to pick just one. But being the mushy romantic that I am I chose the Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe. What is so romantic about the soup you ask? It was a recipe created by Veronica and her husband. To me one of the most romantic things to do with my hubby is create in the kitchen together. Come on who doesn’t find the image of a man working hard to make a special meal sexy?

Veronica and her husband’s patience and hard work really paid off with this soup. The amor that went into the soup is alive with every spoonful. Like true, strong and lasting love the soup is deep in flavors, strong in color, and through the crunch and smoothness the end result is a lasting warmth and fullness that will keep you happy for a life time.

You probably want to know in straightforward terms if I liked the soup.  As the soup simmered I took my first taste and said, “Oh my god this tastes awesome!” The smells brought back memories of watching my Mami in her kitchen. Beautiful and cherished memories. The cooking steps involved left not just my kitchen but the whole house smelling wonderful. So much so that my husband left his man cave to investigate what the delicious smells were.

You can find Veronica’s recipe here, Chicken Tortilla Soup. I tried to stay as true to the recipe as possible. The things I changed were as follows:

- Instead of roasting the tomatoes under the broiler I placed them on a comal or griddle. Along with the tomatoes I roasted the onion and garlic cloves. Make sure you also scrape or remove some of the charredness from the onion and garlic.

- I used the pasilla chile option and added a chile de arbol for a little extra heat.

- For the cheese I used crumbled Feta as neither quesadilla nor asadero are available here. Feta is like a queso fresco substitute and works great.

The one thing I do regret about making the soup is that I cut the recipe in half. It is only hubby and I so portions have to be smaller. Next time I’ll know to make the full recipe, believe me you’ll want to as well. To make a complete dinner out of the soup I served it with some refried beans and homemade flour tortillas.

Thank you Yvette for inviting me to your virtual home. Your soup was amazing and it is something I keep craving. Can’t wait to make it again very soon. For those of you experiencing winter right now this soup is a must to keep warm.

I’d also like to congratulate Yvette, Veronica, and Vangie for their upcoming book publication. I know we are all super excited for you and can’t wait to go out and buy our copies. Felicitaciones chicas y muy bien merecido! Abrazos y besitos!

37 Responses to “Chicken Tortilla Soup (a guest post)”

I just read the interview! Great piece. I adore Chicken tortilla soup and this looks divine. I have a comal that “lives” on the stove top, and admit would have used it for the vegetables. Look forward to the cookbook.

• muybuenocookbook replied: — December 5th, 2011 @ 10:30 am

I have a comal that lives on my stove top too. Are you sure you are not a Latina Lea Ann? LOL! Hope to see you soon and call me if you have any questions on the enchilada recipe. Abrazos!

Victoria Challalncin — December 5, 2011 @ 8:32 am

After over 24 years of living in Mexico, I can say without reservation that tortilla soup is my “go-to” comfort soup–my favorite. It’s always nice to see someone else’s take on it. Thanks for this post!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — December 5th, 2011 @ 10:33 am

Thank you Victoria. I love soup (especially spicy soup).

Rachel — December 5, 2011 @ 9:44 am

Delicious! Thanks for sharing such a great story. Will def check out your site!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — December 5th, 2011 @ 10:34 am

Gracias Rachel. YES, go check out Nancy’s site. Beware drooling may occur ;)

Rachel Candelaria — December 5, 2011 @ 10:05 am

I love Tortilla soup.. and this recipe is one of my favs..

• muybuenocookbook replied: — December 5th, 2011 @ 10:35 am

I miss you amiga! Wish we could wear pjs, watch some 80′s movies, and eat tortilla soup together. Have a wonderful Christmas in El Paso.

My favorite soup! Nice to meet you SpicyFoodie. Will be checking out your site. :)

• muybuenocookbook replied: — December 5th, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

Yes, check her site out Ericka. She is beautiful inside and out and her photography is phenomenal.

Tina@flourtrader — December 5, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

I have always been interested in “true” Mexican cooking. In Texas there is a lot of Tex Mex around and I know that true Mexican food is probably more healthy that the Tex Mex cuisine. Great guest post from Nancy-the soup looks amazing!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — December 5th, 2011 @ 12:35 pm

You are absolutely right Tina! Mexican food and Tex-Mex food is VERY different. Our grandma was born in Chihuahua, Mexico, and my mother, sister, and I grew up in El Paso, Texas. El Paso is a border city and the food there is more Mexican than Tex-Mex. In our blog you will find Mexican recipes from the hearts of three generations — old-world northern Mexican cuisine, traditional south of the border home-style dishes, and Latin fusion recipes. We welcome you to our virtual home. Bienvenida!

Trix — December 5, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

Mmm, what a great recipe! Beautiful photography as always, Nancy – and I am so happy to have now discovered this blog!!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — December 5th, 2011 @ 9:23 pm

Gracias Trix! Welcome to our blog. Nancy is quite the talented chica. So happy to have her on our blog.

Mercedes @BeChicMag — December 5, 2011 @ 2:14 pm

This looks super yummy! I love almost all things with crunchy tortillas!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — December 5th, 2011 @ 9:25 pm

Verdad que sí Mercedes. Crunchy tortillas…mmmm!

Eliana Tardío Hurtado — December 5, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

tortilla soup is my favorite, I learned to eat it here in United States but I love the texture and of course the little pieces of tortilla. Pictures are amazing as well as the interview.

I.l. Yagual — December 5, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

Hello there! Wonderful post! From the look of it I may seriously have to try out this soup! Can you believe I’ve never tried tortilla soup? Sily, right? Looks tasty. Thanks for this great post!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — December 5th, 2011 @ 9:27 pm

Its a recipe we highly recommend — especially in the chilly winter. You’ll love it, I promise ;)

Sarah — December 5, 2011 @ 7:05 pm

I love tortilla soup. It is so versatile and adaptable. When I’m short on time I like to use rotisserie chicken from the store.

• muybuenocookbook replied: — December 5th, 2011 @ 9:28 pm

Sarah, we’ve done that too and actually made some with our leftover Thanksgiving turkey too.

vianney — December 5, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

Great feature! I love Nancy, she’s a wonderful blogger. Her photo tutorials are amazing for new bloggers.

• muybuenocookbook replied: — December 5th, 2011 @ 9:41 pm

Vianney, Glad to hear you are familiar with Nancy. Her photography tips and tricks are very informative. I can only imagine how long those posts take to write and shoot. She goes above and beyond to share her knowledge. She is pretty amazing ;)

Gina — December 5, 2011 @ 8:33 pm

So happy Nancy pointed me in your direction. I love Mexican cuisine, and Nancy’s photos always bring it to life. Can’t wait to read more of you ladies recipes.
    -Gina-

• muybuenocookbook replied: — December 5th, 2011 @ 9:42 pm

Welcome to our blog Gina!

Comiendo en LA — December 5, 2011 @ 11:55 pm

Se ve increíble! Una de mis sopas favoritas!

Joshua Zamora — December 6, 2011 @ 9:06 am

This looks amazing! I love the picture of the bowl empty LOL and from the looks of it I’m sure the smell would have dragged me out of the man cave as well :)

• muybuenocookbook replied: — December 6th, 2011 @ 9:33 am

Thank you Josh! I love that pic too — CUTE!

SpicieFoodie — December 6, 2011 @ 10:10 am

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words. Also thank you to our lovely hosts for having me. It was so much fun and your soup was amazing. Happy holidays y Feliz Navidad to everyone :)!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — December 6th, 2011 @ 11:57 am

It was our pleasure!!! Hope you can meet up with Veronica in Germany or Prague soon — How cool would that be ;)

~Yvette

Sugar-Free recipes — December 6, 2011 @ 10:36 am

I love the pictures! And you’re right, a man in the kitchen is v. sexy. Will try this without the chicken, as Im a vegetarian.

• muybuenocookbook replied: — December 6th, 2011 @ 11:59 am

Thank you! The broth is super tasty. I’ve had it with and without chicken and both are delish!

Bren @ Flanboyant Eats™ — December 6, 2011 @ 6:20 pm

nice to see your writing and photography, Nancy! Great soup to cover. A good tortilla soup goes a long way, but I’m with you. make the entire recipe next time! Happy Holidays!

magicofspice — December 10, 2011 @ 10:19 am

Hi Nancy, looks like an amazing soup and I agree…very romantic :)
    Yvette, Veronica and Vangie, thank you for guest posting Nancy here and you have a wonderful site here.
    Wishing all a good weekend

Katiepies — December 11, 2011 @ 7:03 pm

Just made this-soooo good. We never get tired of Tortilla Soup! Luckily, avocado’s are always in season in California. :)