Cucumber Mojito

I think most of you know about my love affair with mojitos so when Jeanine (our photographer) told me she had a cucumber mojito recipe I was all ears. I love agua de pepino (fresh cucumber water) as well as cucumber martinis, so it only made sense to make a refreshing cucumber mojito. I had to make one before my yerba buena (mint plant) shrivels up in the cold Colorado winter.

This has been the perfect cocktail during this unusually warm weather we’ve had here in Colorado. I figure I better enjoy as many cold drinks as possible before our major snowfall brings in the cold weather and I’m forced to trade in my ice cold drinks for warmer ones.

I also have a beautiful IMUSA bamboo mortar and pestle perfect for grinding, crushing, and mixing. It’s been patiently sitting on my countertop waiting to have something muddled. Muddling is the act of releasing oils from herbs, like mint, by pressing against the leaves gently, without bruising the leaves of the herb. The mint oil released from the leaves during muddling, in combination with the cucumber and lime juice give this drink its refreshing aroma and taste.

This recipe can be increased to make a pitcher and can be made a few hours in advance for a fiesta or just because. Just add alcohol at serving time. This drink tastes just as yummy without the alcohol.

Salud amigos!

Print Save

Cucumber Mojito

Yield: Makes 1 drink

½ lime, juiced
½ lime, cut into wedges
3-4 sprigs fresh mint leaves
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 a cucumber, peeled and pureed
Ice
2 ounces white rum
4 ounces club soda

Puree cucumber in a food processor with the fresh lime juice. Pour into a glass filled with ice.

Gently muddle lime wedges, mint, and sugar in the muddler.

Add the muddled ingredients to the glass with rum and club soda.

The IMUSA products are available from Amazon, Kohl’s, Macy’s, and other major retailers. If you want more information on this or other products from IMUSA, check out their website.

Note: IMUSA sent us the bamboo mortar and pestle to try out and we were compensated for writing this recipe post, however, the recipe is ours and so is our opinion about this beautifully crafted bamboo product.

17 Responses to “Cucumber Mojito”

charlotte — October 21, 2011 @ 6:36 pm

Not so timely! My cukes were done a month ago, and the mint has been growing so slowly that I can only get a few leaves every couple of days. Oh well…. next year! Cheers!

• Veronica Gonzalez Smith replied: — October 23rd, 2011 @ 1:10 am

Hola Charlotte…cheers to next season. I hope your mint has better luck next year. Thanks for stopping by to visit us. Stay tuned for some holiday drinks coming soon.

Katiepies — October 22, 2011 @ 8:03 am

I like to think I am Queen of the original Mojito-I love them so! This is a must try. How can you go wrong with cucumber and mint-it’s like a spa in a glass. :) I will mix one (or two) up this weekend.

• Veronica Gonzalez Smith replied: — October 23rd, 2011 @ 1:05 am

I like that, spa in a glass. You if you’re the Queen than Yvette is the Princess…she loves mojitos too. Have a great weekend. Salud!

mary ellen — October 22, 2011 @ 10:03 am

I made this and substituted TEQUILA (I live in Mexico where tequila is cheap). I think the tequila brings out the flavor of the pepinos more than vodka.

• Veronica Gonzalez Smith replied: — October 23rd, 2011 @ 1:07 am

Mary Ellen, a girl after my own heart, I too love tequila. Pepinos y tequila, that’s a great combo too. Thanks for stopping by to visit. Salud!

Lea Ann — October 23, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

Hats off to your photographer, really nice photos. I’ve never muddled. :)

• muybuenocookbook replied: — October 26th, 2011 @ 10:48 am

Gracias Lea Ann! Our photographer ROCKS!!! We are pretty lucky to have such talent on our site ;) I need to start taking more photos though — like you do! Your photos on your site are beautiful!

Neri Manzano — November 2, 2011 @ 9:55 am

I must say a truly refreshing drink in deed!

Turtle girl — May 26, 2012 @ 5:07 pm

English cucumbers are best…no seeds!

Anita K. — June 22, 2012 @ 6:14 pm

mmmm I just made this and its good. I tried a cucumber mojito at a bar and wanted to make it at home. I can taste every ingredient. I love mint and cucumbers so this is perfect for me.

• Muy Bueno replied: — June 25th, 2012 @ 1:05 pm

So glad you loved it Anita! Thanks for stopping by and letting us know. Mmm, now I’m craving one. LOL!

8. Pingback: Toasting earth day with tasty organic liquor cocktail recipes