Spicy Citrus Margarita

I was just visiting my mom and sister Yvette in Colorado and we were out with friends having dinner at La Sandia. I had a yearning for a spicy margarita, and to my surprise they had one on their menu, a spicy orange margarita. I had thought about a spicy margarita before and just two weeks earlier I tried infusing tequila with serrano chiles but I infused it way too long. I also made the mistake of sipping some of the tequila, straight. I’ve done some dumb things but that one took the pastel. Well you can guess what happened, my lips and the entire inside of my mouth were on fire and numb for days. I’ll never do that again.

So here is the final version of this yummy bright and spicy citrus margarita. It’s better than I had imagined it. If you like spice, tang, and tequila then this unique blend is just for you.

Salud to a long weekend!

Spicy Citrus Margarita

Yield: 1 margarita

1 bottle of tequila, 750 mL

1 orange, juiced

½ lemon, juiced

1 lime, juiced

2 serrano chiles

1 ounce simple syrup

1 cup crushed ice

Tequila Infusion

Place two serrano chiles inside a bottle of tequila for 2 days. Gently shake daily.

After two days remove the serrano chiles, refrigerate, and reserve.

Margarita Assembly

Inside a martini shaker squeeze all citrus juices, 1 ounce infused tequila, simple syrup, and ice. Shake and pour into a salt rimmed glass, including the ice. Garnish with orange, lemon, and or lime wedges. For added spice, slice the serrano chiles and add 2-3 thin slices in the margarita.

15 Responses to “Spicy Citrus Margarita”

Missus T — September 5, 2011 @ 6:02 pm

I’m super excited to try this! Do you do anything to the serranos? Are they cut in half? Or just put in the tequila whole?
    Thanks for sharing!

• Muy Bueno Cookbook replied: — September 6th, 2011 @ 8:30 am

So glad you want to try this. Let us know how this turns out. Just drop the serranos in the tequila whole. Just shake gently a couple times a day. After 2 days I had to transfer the tequila to a different bottle in order to get the serranos out of the bottle. Then I put the tequila back into its original bottle. I sliced the serranos into thin slices and dropped some into my drink…keep off your lips..Salud !

2. Pingback: Menu for Your Intimate Fiesta « Muy Bueno Cookbook

Beth Michelle — September 6, 2011 @ 6:50 am

Wow what an interesting cocktail! It sounds really good. Will definitely have to try this.

• Muy Bueno Cookbook replied: — September 6th, 2011 @ 8:30 am

Michelle, let us know if you do. Enjoy!

mightysylven — September 6, 2011 @ 9:07 am

We have a La Sandia here in Northern Virginia, and it’s one of my favorite restaurants! The spicy margarita is my favorite drink to order! Thanks for the recipe!

• Muy Bueno Cookbook replied: — October 7th, 2011 @ 1:56 pm

It is an addictive drink, just enough spice to make you want another one.

Eliana — September 6, 2011 @ 11:46 am

Love a cocktail with a kick and this one looks like it won’t disappoint.

• Muy Bueno Cookbook replied: — October 7th, 2011 @ 1:57 pm

Give it a try and enjoy the kick that will keep you wanting for more…

Diana Valdes — September 7, 2011 @ 8:03 am

Wow–I can’t wait to try this. It sounds like something my husband and I will enjoy.

Cookie and Kate — September 9, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

That looks fantastic! I bought a bottle of tequila yesterday and mixed a drink with cantaloupe. Definitely trying yours.

• Muy Bueno Cookbook replied: — October 7th, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

If you don’t want to infuse the entire bottle of tequila with the serrano chiles, just put some into a separate bottle, use only one serrano chile. This works just as well. Enjoy!

8. Pingback: Spicy Citrus Margarita

Heidi / foodiecrush — September 30, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

Oh my. I can feel a spicy hangover already. Love this idea and after this long week, I’m ready to partake.

• Muy Bueno Cookbook replied: — October 7th, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

Get your tequila infusion going Heidi…and let the citrus spicy tequila do the rest! Salud!