Quince, Brie, and Black Forest Ham Panini

August is sandwich month so we wanted to kick it off with one of our new sandwich favorites: a quince, brie, and black forest ham panini. Our friends over at IMUSA sent us their panini press to try out and challenged us to make a panini sandwich Muy Bueno style. Because we love a good challenge, we were all over it.

We’ve been on this brie kick lately so it was definitely on our list of ingredients. One night we decided to have a “design your own panini sandwich night” so off to the grocery store I went. I picked up all sorts of cheeses, breads, meats, fruits, and vegetables to have for our challenge and that’s when I found the quince paste.

What is quince you ask? Well quince is a fruit that looks like a round Bartlett pear. A quince fruit is rather hard to bite into. My grandma had an arbol de membrillo (quince tree) in her backyard, they were never really my favorite because of the hardness issue, but when made into preserves for a sweet empanada filling the unique flavor is definitely memorable. I remember going to the mercado in Mexico and having it as a thick paste-like candy. So when I saw the quince paste at the local grocery store I couldn’t resist. I quickly started getting ideas for my part of the challenge.

Everyone had a great time designing their own panini. The combinations were interesting. They all tasted great but my sister and I liked the quince, brie, and black forest ham combo the best. This sandwich is a little sweet, a little salty, a little gooey, and perfectly toasted.

The IMUSA panini press does not have the traditional ridges to brand the bread like most panini presses. The surface is flat which toasts the sandwich perfectly and makes it very easy to clean. Who needs ridges on their sandwich anyway? The stylish chrome design is ideal for your counter top and stores easily. For the money this is an excellent product.

Let us know what you think after you’ve tried this recipe for yourselves. If you don’t have a panini press then check out the one sold by IMUSA on Amazon, the hot plate is big enough to hold 2 paninis at once. We highly recommend this IMUSA panini press.

Makes: 6 sandwiches

Ingredients

½ loaf of French bread, sliced

Olive oil

½ pound Black Forrest Ham, sliced

½ red onion, thinly sliced

Quince paste, thinly sliced

Brie cheese, thinly slice

Directions

Turn on your panini press and let it get nice and hot.

Using a bread knife, slice the French bread at a 45-degree angle. Your bread slices will be bigger if sliced this way. Brush olive oil on one side of each slice of bread.

Place each of the following on one slice of French bread, in this order, brie, ham, onions, and quince. Top with a slice of bread. You want to make sure the brie is on the bread so that it’s closest to the heating element.

Place the sandwich on the panini press, oiled side touching the press, and press down on the sandwich. Allow the sandwich to toast for about 3-4 minutes, just long enough for the bread to turn a golden brown and the brie to melt.

Remove and slice in half. Enjoy!

Be sure to “like” IMUSA on Facebook for more recipes and info on their products.

Gracias IMUSA for gifting this panini press for us to try. It truly surpassed our expectations. This is a sponsored post. All recipes and opinions are our own.

23 Responses to “Quince, Brie, and Black Forest Ham Panini”

Olivia Hemming — August 3, 2011 @ 11:48 pm

As a vegan vegetarian, I would prefer the empanada de membrillo recipe. :) Mi abuelita, too made quince preserves/jam. Altho’ American borne, bread was not something we ate nor liked, espec, white.

Do you or you mom have a recipe for sopapillas? Yum…

• Muy Bueno Cookbook replied: — August 4th, 2011 @ 10:50 am

Mmmm, empanadas de membrillo do sound yummy. I’m on the search for membrillos now. Olivia not sure when we will post the sopapilla recipe. Stay tuned for that one.

Andrew Bui — August 4, 2011 @ 2:17 am

I’ve actually never heard of quince, brie, and ham together but your sandwich looks gorgeous

• Muy Bueno Cookbook replied: — August 4th, 2011 @ 10:53 am

LOL…Andrew we hadn’t either…we kinda’ made this one up and surprise, surprise, surprise when this one actually tasted pretty darn good. We were just as surprised as you. I hope your as pleasantly surprised at how well these flavors come together as we were.

Kelly — August 4, 2011 @ 6:33 am

What a great panini, this looks delicious! So glad I found your blog! xoxo

• Muy Bueno Cookbook replied: — August 4th, 2011 @ 10:54 am

Thank you, give it a try and let us know how you liked it. Stay tuned for lots more recipes and stories coming up…

Katiepies — August 4, 2011 @ 8:03 am

We make paninis all the time using goat cheese and grilled veggies. This will be a new twist- can’t wait to try it. YUM! The great thing about a panini press is that you can grill veggies and make sandwiches and not heat up the kitchen!

• Muy Bueno Cookbook replied: — August 4th, 2011 @ 10:56 am

Hi Katiepies….I knew you would like this one. Having never used a panini and using it for the first time opened up a whole new world for us….we like this panini press too…so easy to clean after our long panini making event….You will LOVE this panini…

Yum! Any sandwich with brie in it is just divine. This looks incredible.

• Muy Bueno Cookbook replied: — August 4th, 2011 @ 10:59 am

Thanks Russell, the brie did bring this panini home. It sounds like you like brie as much as we do…stay tuned for next week. Next week we are bringing you a nice a light appetizer using brie…no, a wheel of brie…

Brenda — August 4, 2011 @ 9:55 am

“Foods that start with the letter Q for $200, please.” (Sorry, I couldn’t resist!)

You can never go wrong with brie and this sandwich looks delicious! Can’t wait to try it. Um…can I borrow your press? :)

• Muy Bueno Cookbook replied: — August 4th, 2011 @ 11:02 am

LOL, Brenda you are tooooo funny…good one. Our romance with this IMUSA press has just begun. It was a pleasant surprise for us at just how good a sandwich can taste when it’s pressed. You gotta get one.

Ericka — August 4, 2011 @ 12:18 pm

This is a great spin-off of one I made a couple of months ago. I kept it vegetarian and added pecans for a rustic crunch. I must try it with ham though.

• Muy Bueno Cookbook replied: — August 5th, 2011 @ 10:27 am

I loved your recipe too Ericka…vegetarian is always a yummy alternative.

Heather Buen — August 4, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

I think the sweetness of the quince is a good added touch with the ham. Never thought about it that way, but excellent choice.

• Muy Bueno Cookbook replied: — August 5th, 2011 @ 10:28 am

Hi Heather, Thanks for stopping by. The saltiness of the ham and the sweetness of the red onions and quince totally make this a panini worth trying. Enjoy!

rsmacaalay — August 7, 2011 @ 2:46 am

Wow that panini looks good!

jeaninethurston — August 8, 2011 @ 1:02 pm

Personally… all I can say is that it tasted amazing. Now, if I could only get my husband and kids to like brie.

• muybuenocookbook replied: — August 8th, 2011 @ 4:33 pm

Too funny Jeanine! My hubby is not a fan of brie either. Anytime I host a party I have chile con queso for the guys and brie for the ladies ;)

Rosa May (@RosasYummyYums) — August 9, 2011 @ 8:01 am

Soooo scrumptious! Brie is one of my favorite cheeses.

Cheers,

Rosa

Eliana — August 10, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

Hmmm – que rico. I love the crunchy/crispy outside of paninis and warm gooey inside. And this one looks perfect.

Barbara Hamlett — August 15, 2013 @ 10:10 pm

Hello Foodies, my Grandparents had a Quince tree growing in their yard, I, remember as a very young lass, I, picked one and tried to eat it like an apple, OMG
    forget it. I decided to wait until Granny, made Quince jam and jelly, that worked
    much better. As for the recipe, the tastes of Brie, Ham and Quince, sounds abfab!!
    Thanx