Easy Appetizers made with Maseca to share with Amigas

Girl time…what woman doesn’t look forward to those moments she can spend with her girlfriends eating, drinking, and just catching up? I love these moments and look forward to my girl time. Having a handful of girlfriends over to unwind and talk about everything and nothing is like a breath of fresh air. Standing around the kitchen sink, lounging in the living room, or gathered around the small firepit in my backyard, eating a little something is always part of the get-together.

As we sit around and discuss work, kids, cooking, shopping, or whatever else tickles our fancy, I love sharing easy to prepare appetizers that can be made ahead of time. Sopes, made with Maseca instant corn masa flour, is a thicker version of a corn tortilla but like a little bowl beckoning to be filled with just about anything I have on hand.

Preparing the sopes with Maseca masa is an easy and healthy alternative to anything fried. I like filling mine with frijoles de la olla and rajas de chile and then topped with queso fresco. Making these ahead of time and keeping them warm in the oven before my guests arrive is perfect. Sometimes I leave some unfilled and just let the girls fill them with anything else I put out like refried beans, guacamole, or papas con chorizo.

So next time you are thinking of having some much needed girl time, grab a bag of Maseca at your local grocery store, make some little sope boats and get ready to impress the girls without all the hard work.

{Click on the photo to see the recipe in its entirety}

Maseca is Sponsoring a “Maseca Pays Your Grocery Bill” Contest

Contest dates: now through August 8th

Shop at a participating market in North Carolina, South California, Dallas, and Houston and buy a bag of Maseca. If the Maseca team spots you, Maseca will pay your entire grocery store bill. How cool is that?

Winners may also be featured on Maseca’s website, Youtube channel, Facebook, and Twitter pages! Good luck!

This is a sponsored post by Maseca. All opinions and recipes are my own.

Pottery by Cherie Mahon available at cmahon@myawai.com and in the Santa Fe Art District at CoArt

27 Responses to “Easy Appetizers made with Maseca to share with Amigas”

Ericka — July 26, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

Hmmmm…. after my own heart! You can never go wrong with frijoles de la olla. Se ven riquisimos!

• Muy Bueno Cookbook replied: — July 27th, 2011 @ 10:21 am

LOL…I agree Ericka and that’s what my mom always said as we were growing up…You can never go wrong with beans. She also said, “If you have beans in the house then you have something to eat.”

christinagp — July 26, 2011 @ 9:40 pm

Love this. I’d love to give this recipe a shot. Will let you know how it goes! Thanks for letting my bring my favorite food home :)

• muybuenocookbook replied: — July 28th, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

We’d love to hear back from you! Feel free to post a photo of the recipe on our FB wall. Can’t wait to see your delicious masterpiece!

BeChicMag .com — July 27, 2011 @ 11:32 am

Love frijoles and guacamole!!

bonnie from Sweet Life — July 27, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

Another great recipe gals!! sopes rock!!

Eliana — July 27, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

Hmmm – que rico! Looks like the perfect way for me to impress my chicas :)

Mi Maseca — July 27, 2011 @ 3:02 pm

We love sopes, they are a super easy way to have a quick and healthy meal. Also because they can be made just with vegetables (you know, potatoe mash, beans, mushrooms).

Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe and for sharing it with everybody on our Facebook wall and on Twitter.

Hope that everybody uses your recipe can participate in our promotion and later we’ll have them on our wall of winners.

Saludos,

Mi Maseca USA

• muybuenocookbook replied: — August 3rd, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

Thanks Maseca for including Muy Bueno in your promotion. We look forward to seeing all the lucky winners – What an awesome, exciting, and generous contest.

Nicole Presley — July 27, 2011 @ 6:19 pm

These look delicious! I will have to try this recipe as well….. We are all going to be well supplied with Maseca.

• muybuenocookbook replied: — July 28th, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

Gracias Nicole! Maseca is always in our pantry! It’s a must in our cocina!

I love, love, love sopes… almost as much as girl time! :)

• Muy Bueno Cookbook replied: — July 28th, 2011 @ 1:35 pm

LOL…glad you look forward to girl time too! It totally re-energizes me for all the hats we wear as women.

Vianessa Castaños — July 27, 2011 @ 8:43 pm

I just ate dinner, but I think I could chow down on a few of these!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — July 28th, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

Maybe for dessert? Who said sopes had to be savory? LOL. Add a pinch of sugar to the masa to sweeten it and top with some fresh fruit. Voila… Dessert!

Joscelyn R Campbell — July 28, 2011 @ 5:53 am

Such a fun and easy appetizers to make that would be great for girlfriends and kids!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — July 28th, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

Joscelyn: Our kids LOVE sopes – they call them Mexican pizzas and get very creative with their toppings. It’s very cute ;)

you just touched a soft spot! I looooooove sope’s!!! Had them in Mexico for the 1st time about 6 years ago and fell in love… had some marlin ones that were incredibly delicious. I like Maseca to make arepas, too!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — July 28th, 2011 @ 11:53 am

Mmmm, marlin and sopes…sounds so fancy and fantastic! Speaking of arepas we are in the test kitchen playing with a recipe. Not a traditional Mexican dish, but we plan on adding our Mexican twist ;)

AutismWonderland — July 28, 2011 @ 1:20 pm

Oh I love sopes! And this looks great!

Ragamuffin Diaries — July 29, 2011 @ 8:54 pm

oh my, these look delicious…. I need some Mexican food in my life!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — August 3rd, 2011 @ 11:58 am

Gracias! Who doesn’t need Mexican food ;)

rachel — August 1, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

I’ve never had this. Oh my, it looks good.

• muybuenocookbook replied: — August 3rd, 2011 @ 11:58 am

You should try them Rachel — Soooo easy! We promise ;)

appetizers — August 7, 2011 @ 6:51 pm

Your site helps me a lot to decide what appetizers to serve during parties. I too love appetizers.They’re usually savory and appetizers for parties may include canapés, cold cuts (cheeses or precooked/cured meat), crudités (raw vegetables used for dipping), bruschetta (roasted bread with garlic, olive oil, tomato and sometimes cheese) or cocktail wieners (small hot dog).

16. Pingback: Muy Bueno Cookbook » Easy Appetizers made with Maseca to … - easy-appetizers