Mango Coconut Sorbet

My mom is visiting and brought her Montel Williams high-powered blender with her. She has been bragging about this thing ever since she ordered it after watching an infomercial late one night.

I needed an excuse to test this baby out. I call it my kitchen R2-D2 and guess what? My mom was right, this thing is amazing!!! I could not believe how easy this blender crushes ice. If you do not have a high-powered blender you may want to add the ice little by little or eliminate the ice all together and freeze the sorbet until the desired consistency.

Ok, now back to this refreshing recipe. This mango sorbet is simple to make, and it does not involve a stove or an ice cream maker. It makes a beautiful dessert to serve to your company, and easy since you can make it in advance.

The mango sorbet is amazing as-is, but adding the coconut cream on top gives it a delicious creamsicle flavor. If serving adults you may want to add a bit of pizzazz to this child-hood treat by adding some coconut rum. Yum!

Makes: 6 servings

Mango Sorbet Ingredients

2 ripe mangos, peeled, pitted, and sliced

1 cup mango nectar or orange juice

2 tablespoons agave nectar

2 cups ice cubes

Mango Sorbet Directions

Place mango, juice, agave nectar, and ice in a high-powdered blender until blended. To prevent mixture from melting, do not over-mix.

Place in the freezer in an airtight container. Chill while you make the coconut cream slush. The sorbet is great as is, but if you would like a more solid sorbet then I would suggest freezing for 30 minutes.

Coconut Cream Slush Ingredients

¼ cup plain yogurt

6 ounces condensed milk

6 ounces sweetened coconut milk

3 ounces coconut rum (optional)

¼ teaspoon coconut extract

3 cups of ice

Organic coconut, shredded (toasted or untoasted)

Mint sprigs (optional)

Coconut Cream Slush Directions

While the mango mixture is chilling combine yogurt, condensed milk, coconut milk, coconut rum, coconut extract, and ice in a blender and blend until slushy. You may need to add the ice one cup at a time if you do not have a fancy high-powered blender.

Assembly

Scoop the mango sorbet into dessert glasses and add a scoop of the coconut cream on top. Garnish with coconut flakes (toasted flakes give it a crunchy texture) and a sprig of mint.

Note: No, I am not being paid to endorse this product, but I would highly recommend it.

13 Responses to “Mango Coconut Sorbet”

Lydia — April 20, 2011 @ 6:34 am

This sounds divine! Perfect ending to a summer supper outside. I am thinking something involving cold shrimp and avocados. Yum.

sweetlife — April 20, 2011 @ 9:28 am

I love the color contrast of the mango and coco. R2D2 how cute! Have a great week!!

sweetlife

• muybuenocookbook replied: — April 21st, 2011 @ 4:21 pm

Thank you sweetlife!!! I’m LOVIN’ your carrot drink too!!!

Marcela — April 21, 2011 @ 7:03 pm

This sounds incredibly delicious. I have a Blendtec blender and can relate to the wonderful power of having a super blender that makes your life easier and healthier.

I am trying this recipe this weekend. I love the fact it uses mangoes, one of my favorite Latin fruits!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — April 25th, 2011 @ 10:43 am

Hi Marcela — Having a high-speed blender is on my want list now. They make some mean frozen margs too. LOL!

the urban baker — April 22, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

these are gorgeous! and I am sure they are yummy!

• Veronica replied: — April 24th, 2011 @ 8:17 pm

They are super yummy and refreshing. Hope you give them a try.

Cooking in Mexico — April 26, 2011 @ 6:02 pm

I know I am going to make this, because we are fixing to have an abundance of mangoes in the markets, and this is a low-sugar recipe, my favorite kind. And I love mangoes!

Kathleen

• muybuenocookbook replied: — April 27th, 2011 @ 9:31 am

Be careful Kathleen, this dessert is quite addicting. Darn it, now I’m craving more. Looks like I’ll be buying some mangos tonight.

Diane {Created by Diane} — April 26, 2011 @ 8:07 pm

Oh that looks so delicious!
    Eva suggested I take a look and I’m so glad I did!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — April 27th, 2011 @ 9:19 am

Bienvenida Diane! You have a GREAT blog! Are you taking part in the Share our Strength Bake Sale? Your lovely cookies, cupcakes, and scones would be a hit!!!

mecookieslove — September 18, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

These are amazing! Although the coconut creme didnt stay esactly on top of the cup. aha Very tasty, this is wonderful!:)