Chile con Queso

Though we don’t always root for the same team, everyone can get behind the once-a-year excesses of the Super Bowl spread. This ooey gooey cheesy appetizer is totally addicting and perfect for the big game. Lactose intolerant folks be afraid, be very afraid!

Anyone who knows me, knows my famous chile con queso. This recipe is my go-to potluck contribution, its easy and a crowd pleaser. This recipe falls into the Tex-Mex category. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Tex-Mex, but it is definitely not authentic Mexican. So to all our Mexican foodies out there, try it you’ll like it…it’s naughty.

Chile con Queso

1 pound (16 oz.) Velveeta Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

½ cup water

2 roma tomatoes, chopped

2-3 jalapenos, chopped

½ onion, chopped

Green onions, chopped

Combine Velveeta with water in microwaveable bowl and microwave on high for 4 minutes. Mix until Velveeta is completely melted. You may need to add more water depending on your ideal consistency.

Stir in tomatoes, jalapenos, and onion.

Garnish with green onions. Serve with assorted cut-up fresh vegetables or tortilla chips.

19 Responses to “Chile con Queso”

Connie Gilbert — February 2, 2011 @ 5:41 pm

Mmmmmmm-mmmmmmm….once again…Thank you all so very, very much…This dish looks absolutely “deeeee-lish”…!!! Can’t wait to try it for Super Bowl Sunday…!!!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — February 3rd, 2011 @ 11:32 am

Connie: Its so easy its almost embarrassing! BUT its soooo good!

gabriellemarielopez — February 2, 2011 @ 5:59 pm

This is my Auntie Ann’s specialty, except she has a secret weapon…NM hatche green chile. Brings back memories!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — February 3rd, 2011 @ 11:27 am

Gotta love Auntie Ann! Too funny! My mom usually uses roasted green chile too! I go the easier route with fresh jalapenos. Are you like me and have TONS of frozen roasted chile in your freezer? Our garage freezer is stocked with chile from Pueblo and Hatch! YUM!!!

• gabriellemarielopez replied: — February 4th, 2011 @ 7:23 am

I wish I did…. man, you’re lucky. When I lived in Los Angeles we’d drive back with a sack full of roasted chile. Now that I live in NYC I only get a few frozen bags at a time whenever someone visiting from NM is kind enough to stow some in their luggage. I can’t wait to have a freezer full like you!

Enjoy the game on Sunday!

Melissa — February 3, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

I am making this for the big game Sunday. I too have a freezer full of hatch chili most of the time. Well, now I have used up most of them.They don’t last long at my house. Hurray for Hatch Chili. :)

Tracy López — February 4, 2011 @ 6:23 am

Looks yummy! American football doesn’t interest me AT ALL … but the food at the parties does :)

• muybuenocookbook replied: — February 7th, 2011 @ 9:52 am

Hi Tracy: I pretend I know the game, but my friends and family were laughing at me when I was asking questions during the game. We all ate well, so they can’t laugh at that.

Rachel — February 4, 2011 @ 7:57 pm

All this talk of green chile and pictures of delish queso is making me hungry.!! I know the muy bueno queso is amazing!! I’ve had it at every family gathering for years… yummy. I’m making a batch on Sunday for sure.

• muybuenocookbook replied: — February 7th, 2011 @ 9:40 am

Rachel: Did you make some??? You know us and chile con queso. Can’t have a fiesta without it ;)

6. Pingback: SuperBowl Veggie Appetizers

7. Pingback: Mexican-Style Thanksgiving Fiesta « Muy Bueno Cookbook

Cindy — February 5, 2012 @ 3:21 pm

What are the Pueblo & Hatch peppers? We love peppers and hear that term alot but are they?

• muybuenocookbook replied: — February 5th, 2012 @ 9:38 pm

They are basically a long green chile and local favorites if you live in the southwest (Pueblo, CO and Hatch, NM). A perfect substitute is long green chile like Aneheim or simple jalapeños.

derrick — January 29, 2013 @ 12:08 am

I have been making a similar recipe for a long time. I have adapted my recipe slightly by roasting the jalapeño peppers first. It may seem like a simple thing, and it is, but it takes the flavour to a whole new level. If you have never roasted peppers before you should try it, there a plenty of explanations online of how to do it. As for the water… sketchy. If you are concerned about the power of the microwave just use a lower power level, 6-7.

• Muy Bueno replied: — January 30th, 2013 @ 8:44 pm

Hi Derrick! Yes, I have tried roasted long green chile as well as roasted jalapeños. This recipe is my simple option with fresh jalapeños. I add water because I don’t like thick melted cheese. You can use milk instead of water — I’ve tried both.

Buen Provecho!

derrick — January 31, 2013 @ 10:59 am

Oh, and I hate what I did. I always like to leave on a positive comment. Very nice site, and I will be trying those wings, I have been baking wings for some time. Your sauce looks outstanding.

diek

B Hdz — February 4, 2013 @ 12:07 pm

Very disappointed to see this was made with Velveeta. Do you have a Real Cheese alternative?

• Muy Bueno replied: — February 4th, 2013 @ 4:09 pm

This is a guilty pleasure! One we are not proud of but oh so good when it comes to Tex-Mex! I would also recommend any Mexican melty cheese (ex: Chihuahua, Oaxaca, or Quesadilla cheese) and milk instead of water.