Avena (Old Fashioned Mexican Oatmeal)

This recipe is very dear to me. I used to make this into an atole for my mother by blending it and adding more water or milk – it’s the perfect warm meal and excellent for the elderly. My mother loved it and drank it every day. ~ Vangie

Ingredients

4 cups water

4 cinnamon sticks

Pinch salt

2 cups old fashioned oats

Condensed milk (optional)

Sugar (optional)

Ground cinnamon (optional)

Blueberries (optional)

Walnuts (optional)

Honey (optional)

Directions

Boil water and cinnamon sticks. Remove from heat and let stand for about 1 hour (covered). Discard the cinnamon sticks, add a pinch of salt, and oats, let simmer for 45 minutes add more water to desired consistency. Add milk (optional) and sugar (optional) and let simmer for an additional 20 minutes until creamy.

Serve in a bowl and add more milk or water if you want it thinner. Add honey to sweeten. Sprinkle with cinnamon and garnish with blueberries or walnuts.

Refrigerate leftovers for up to 1 week.

20 Responses to “Avena (Old Fashioned Mexican Oatmeal)”

1. Pingback: Día de la Candelaria (Candlemas) « Muy Bueno Cookbook

sonia — February 2, 2011 @ 10:58 am

This is a delightful recipe…loving your style of putting up the things !

• muybuenocookbook replied: — February 2nd, 2011 @ 2:31 pm

Thank you Sonia! This recipe is very dear to us! Its amazing how a simple recipe can bring back so many memories. I think thats why we love our recipes, because they all have a story connected to them. Take care!

rocio — February 2, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

Mmm avena! My mom used to make this for us as kids :)

• muybuenocookbook replied: — February 3rd, 2011 @ 11:31 am

Rocio: Glad to hear you have the same warm memories ;)

angelica perez — February 3, 2011 @ 9:51 pm

Yvette, my husband and I are sitting down together on our couch, looking through your beautiful website and delicious recipes. We loved your oatmeal recipe, especially with walnuts and blueberries. We’re making it on Saturday, for breakfast.

Can’t wait for your cookbook!!

Angelica

• muybuenocookbook replied: — February 3rd, 2011 @ 10:03 pm

Gracias Angelica! Tell your hubby hola and that he’s one lucky fellow to have met you…Ms. talented Latina You!

5. Pingback: Tweets that mention Avena (Old Fashioned Mexican Oatmeal) « Muy Bueno Cookbook -- Topsy.com

6. Pingback: My First Rosca de Reyes « Muy Bueno Cookbook

Elizabeth — February 14, 2012 @ 8:02 am

Thank you for this! My husband was so upset the other day because he tried to make some and it didn’t turn out. So I found your recipe and made him some, and put some in a new Thermos for Valentine’s Day! He loved it :-)

• Muy Bueno replied: — February 18th, 2012 @ 5:57 am

Elizabeth what a sweet gesture on your part, I’m just glad we were able to help you on your quest for homemade avena. I’m sure it warmed his heart. Gracias for sharing your story y besitios amiga!

8. Pingback: Avena 2 | Slightly

Elizabeth — February 12, 2013 @ 3:34 pm

Having an ex mother of Mexican culture, I learned many things but one that left me boggled was a drink she called atole, she made it for me everyday and said that it would help me produce breast milk for my babies…indeed it did! But I’m not sure if the receipe you posted is intended for that also….I want to make it for my daughter, so I need your help!!! Thank you

• Muy Bueno replied: — February 13th, 2013 @ 10:02 am

Hola Elizabeth,

I wish I could help, but I have not heard of atole/avena producing breast milk. Maybe its just the added milk or healthy oats in the recipe? Doen’t hurt for her to give it a try. Its a great healthy breakfast!

Shannen — May 19, 2013 @ 6:23 pm

Thank you for this recipe! I loved the avena in Mexico and hope with this recipe I can get it to turn out the same!

omali — July 5, 2013 @ 8:36 am

What kind if milk can I add? The condensed milk or regular milk? And how much of the condensed milk? Thanks love your website. Already made the green enchiladasso delicious…right now I have the cinnamon sticks and water standing for 1 hr

• Muy Bueno replied: — July 5th, 2013 @ 9:22 am

Try 1/2 cup to 1 cup low-fat sweetened condensed milk and simmer until creamy. Best wishes.

Ken — November 23, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

will be trying the recipe out soon looks delicious!

13. Pingback: The Courier » Día de la Candelaria: Tamales Day!

Lydia — April 14, 2014 @ 10:39 pm

I’m so glad I found you your recipe’s are simply delicious is your cook book out already I just wanted you to know how wonderful your capirotada is ,it was the first time I made it and it was so good thank you . Your a wonderful cook thanks to your grandmother and mother .