Salsa Verde

My sister and I have come to love tomatillos, and each created a salsa verde so delicious we decided to have a salsa verde standoff. She kept telling me how she had the best salsa verde recipe and I said, “No, I have the best salsa verde recipe.” So there you have it, the start of an honest to goodness competition.

We decided to ask our extended family, a neutral party, which recipe they liked and why. Both recipes were prepared and they voted on their favorite. Well, you guessed it; the recipe you see here is the one with the most votes. The most comments made about it were that it was fresh, chunky, and delicious, (their words, not mine). The best part of this winning recipe is that it is the easier of the two! If you can boil water you can make this salsa. NO roasting chile required.

My husband claims it is now his favorite salsa, as he feasts on a mountain of it with a bag of tortilla chips. This light and fresh salsa compliments so many dishes. One batch lasts about one week in my home, maybe. We enjoy it over eggs for breakfast or tacos for dinner. Try it over nachos topped with queso fresco for a snack. The peppers add just enough bite to satisfy those of us who enjoy spicy food.

Salsa Verde

3 cups water

8 tomatillos, husks removed and rinsed

2 serrano peppers, stemmed and roughly chopped

1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed and roughly chopped

2 garlic cloves

¼ onion, chopped

Handful of cilantro

½ teaspoon salt

Boil tomatillos for about 15 minutes. Remove tomatillos from the water and allow them to cool before blending.

Roast the garlic cloves in their skins in a dry pan until skin is charred, about 10 minutes. Cool and remove skins.

In a blender place the cooled tomatillos, chopped peppers, garlic, onion, cilantro, and salt and blend for about 1 minute.

Salsa should be chunky. Add more salt if needed.

Pottery by Cherie Mahon available at cmahon@myawai.com and in the Santa Fe Art District at CoArt

Pssst…don’t forget to order the 2011 Muy Bueno Calendar here

17 Responses to “Salsa Verde”

1. Pingback: How to Make a Mexican Meal Light and Quick « Muy Bueno Cookbook

summersher — January 25, 2011 @ 9:48 am

Just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Stylish Blogger Award. You guys do a great job with your blog and book! Love the recipes!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — January 25th, 2011 @ 10:06 am

WOWZA! Gracias! Very sweet! Thank you for sharing our blog with your readers. Abrazos!!!

rocio — February 2, 2011 @ 6:02 pm

mmm!! This is exactly how I make mine! :D

• muybuenocookbook replied: — February 3rd, 2011 @ 11:20 am

YAY!!! I roast my chile, but my sister who took the easy route won. Glad to see simpler was tastier with this flavorful salsa! But I demand a rematch ;)

Veronica Gonzalez Smith — February 3, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

Bring it on sista….a true to life, Bobby Flay, throwdown…Veronica

• muybuenocookbook replied: — February 4th, 2011 @ 1:40 pm

That would make for one FUN video!!! Our own little throwdown in the Muy Bueno Test kitchen! We could find judges and EVERYTHING! Lets do it!!!

Veronica Gonzalez Smith — February 7, 2011 @ 11:52 pm

Your state or mine?…wait your turn to come to California…

6. Pingback: Cheers, to all our Irish Friends… « Muy Bueno Cookbook

7. Pingback: Bacon Wrapped Shrimp and On a Stick! Cookbook Review « Muy Bueno Cookbook

8. Pingback: Menu for Your Intimate Fiesta « Muy Bueno Cookbook

9. Pingback: Turkey Arepas « Muy Bueno Cookbook

10. Pingback: Blogger Spotlight | Muy Bueno |

Monique — June 7, 2012 @ 1:23 pm

Question! Do you remove the seeds from the jalapeno and serrano chiles? I made this salsa a few nights ago, and it’s OMG-delicious! I looooove salsas verde. But! I removed the seeds from the chiles, and while very tastey, my salsa came out not spicy. My husband and I are still devouring through it, but I love me some spicy salsa. Any tips?

Thanks!

-M

• Muy Bueno replied: — June 10th, 2012 @ 9:48 am

Hi Monique, glad you tried the Salsa Verde. In regard to your question, we don’t remove the seeds when we make salsas, this is what gives the salsa that little spicy edge. The only time we remove the seeds is when we are making chile rellenos. Try it again and let us know how it turned out. Besos!

Monique — June 13, 2012 @ 10:32 am

Ahh! I knew it! As I was removing the seeds, I kept thinking to myself “I don’t think I’m supposed to be doing this.” Lol. Oh well, it still came out tastey! Next time. :) Thanks for the response!

mamaweeks — August 30, 2012 @ 3:35 pm

I made 4 batches of this today and
    it is delicious! I only made one change-
    I am allergic to garlic, so I left it out
    and doubled the onion. YUM! :)

Even better when everything but the
    cilantro came from my garden!