It’s Michelada Time!

If life gives you limes, make a michelada!

The first time I had one of these refreshing drinks I thought, “Wow, this is like a limonada and beer all in one! How come I didn’t think of this combination?” My next thought was, “I need to have another one.” A michelada goes down especially well on a hot sunny day or while enjoying a football game and eating some spicy Mexican food. Danger, you can’t have just one.

There are quite the variations of micheladas. Some are made with lime juice and assorted sauces, spices, peppers, and tomato juice, but I like to keep mine simple and make more of a “Chelada”.

Print Save

Chelada/Michelada

1/4 cup ice
Mexican beer (recommend: Dos XX or Tecate)
¼ cup fresh lime juice
Sal Limón or coarse salt

Moisten rim of glass with a lime and coat with Sal Limón or salt. Add ice and lime juice. Add beer, and drink before the ice melts.

More recipes available at www.muybuenocookbook.com

Pssst…don’t forget to order the 2011 Muy Bueno Calendar here

30 Responses to “It’s Michelada Time!”

authmex — January 31, 2011 @ 10:47 pm

the first time i tried a michelada was at DMK Burger Bar in Chicago. they make theirs with tomato juice, lime and Pabst Blue Ribbon. I usually don’t go for savory drinks but it was surprisingly refreshing!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — February 1st, 2011 @ 10:10 am

Pabst Blue Ribbon … I guess that’s a good way to disguise the taste of that beer. LOL

jeaninethurston — February 1, 2011 @ 6:51 am

I won’t drink beer any other way now.

freshandfoodie — February 1, 2011 @ 8:10 am

Yum. One of my favorite things to order at my favorite Mexican restaurant here in Chicago.

Cooking in Mexico — February 1, 2011 @ 10:19 am

I had to move to Mexico to discover Micheladas. Now, it’s a favorite way to drink a cold beer on a hot day.

Kathleen

• muybuenocookbook replied: — February 1st, 2011 @ 10:48 am

Even on a FREEZING day in Colorado a Michelada still sounds great!!! YUM!

Greg — February 2, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

I love this drink! I often will add a dash or two of hot sauce as well.

rocio — February 2, 2011 @ 5:56 pm

No Clamato? :(

• muybuenocookbook replied: — February 3rd, 2011 @ 11:30 am

I think I’ll have to post a “Bloody Mary Beer” recipe soon for all you Clamato lovers ;)

sandy — February 4, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

This one is called a rusa. To be called michelada it needs maggi seasoning sauce and clamato juice, at least.

• muybuenocookbook replied: — February 4th, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

Sandy: I have never heard it called a “rusa”? I learned something new today ;)

We are from El Paso and if you are ever in Juarez or El Paso and you order a Michelada you will get the ice+beer+lime juice+salt rim = absolute heaven on a hot day!

• sandy replied: — February 4th, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

Yeah, even in some parts of Mexico, rusa = michelada. I live in Guadalajara (where michelada was invented) and thats how we drink it really spicy.

8. Pingback: Super Sopes « Muy Bueno Cookbook

9. Pingback: Botanas Mexicanas for Super Bowl Sunday « Cooking in Mexico

10. Pingback: Monday Munch: Recreate Chico’s Tacos at Home

11. Pingback: Muy Bueno Featured in Latina Magazine « Muy Bueno Cookbook

12. Pingback: Cheers, to all our Irish Friends… « Muy Bueno Cookbook

Missus T — July 13, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

I fell in love with these in the Yucatan a few years ago, but I’ve learned to ask questions before actually ordering a michelada around here (Michigan). The first time one showed up looking like, well someone had poured tomato juice in it, I was like what’s going on here?! When I explained what I wanted, my waiter told me that (beer+lime+ice+salt) was called a preparada…I’ve tried that name with other waiters and they’ve given me blank looks. LOL I was also told once that a michelada had tomato or clamato juice and spices in it, while a chelada did not. Like most things, it depends on where you live or learned the recipe from.

So while I love it, it’s much easier to make it myself than try to order it. :)

14. Pingback: Menu for Your Intimate Fiesta « Muy Bueno Cookbook

Andrea @ Fork Fingers Chopsticks — September 28, 2011 @ 9:18 pm

I’m with you. Getting thirsty just looking at the pictures. No tomato in mine please.

Blanca — March 2, 2013 @ 7:17 pm

I’ve never heard of a michelada without tomato juice. I use Sol, Dos X, or Bud Light or whichever is on hand; clamato picante, lots of tapatio, sal en grano, pepper, and LOTS of lime. Yummmmmmm!

• Muy Bueno replied: — March 5th, 2013 @ 11:54 pm

Our version is more of a “Chelada”! Mmmm! Now I’m craving one ;)

17. Pingback: Food – Drinks That Prove Mixing Beer Is A Great Idea | Everything Cool

Ryan — May 6, 2013 @ 8:11 pm

When I was in Costa Rica a michelada is made exactly like your recipe. When in Mexico a michelada is of the tomato and spicy variety. The drink is different in every region and it always annoys me when someone tells me I am wrong when referencing the name to the lime juice version.

19. Pingback: 26 Drinks That Prove Mixing Beer Is A Great Idea | gistas' Wordpress Blog

20. Pingback: Looking For Unique Homemade Drinks With Alcohol For This Father’s Day? Here Are 7 Great Ideas. Read On! - All Fresh Recipes

21. Pingback: Simple beer based cocktails | Recipes Home