Beef Brisket Tacos

Beef Brisket reminds me of family gatherings back home. Our birthday parties were nothing like the parties my kids attend. We didn’t have theme parties at Chuck E. Cheese’s or at the bowling alley; we had a big family gathering with all the cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and anyone else we considered family. If you were a friend, we soon gave you a title of cousin or tia, and you were in. Our little birthday party quickly went from a little potluck to a full blown fiesta.

As soon as everyone arrived the pans of shredded brisket or as we called it, carne deshebrada, came out of nowhere. After that came the huge bowls of potato salad, frijoles de la olla, rajas, tostadas, and of course the twenty million types of salsa and chiles.

Brisket showed up at other types of parties like quinceñeras, baptisms, bridal and baby showers. It was the dish we could always count on. Brisket was usually the meat of choice. Why, you ask? Because it could be made in the oven or a slow cooker ahead of time and it would feed the masses.

I loved it when we had leftover brisket because I knew my mom would make one of several dishes a few days later. The type of dish was determined by whatever we had in the fridge at the time. If we had corn tortillas we’d have tacos or if she rolled them up and fried them we had flautas. If there was brisket and beans left, we had burritos. I don’t remember having much bread growing up, but I do remember having lots of flour and corn tortillas. Who knew that such an innocent piece of beef could wear so many different tortillas?

As a working mother I love preparing dishes that keep on giving for a couple more meals. Every Tuesday is Taco Tuesday in my home and as a working mother of two very picky eaters, brisket tacos is one of our favorites. I love it because my slow cooker does all the work for me. I just come home from work and we have delicious tender meat for a slew of meals over the next couple of days. Fresh out of the slow cooker we have tacos, the next day we have tortas or sandwiches, and finally flautas.

Here is our favorite recipe for beef brisket tacos. My kids love tacos with a variety of toppings especially crema Mexicana. I prefer my tacos topped with homemade salsa. Add a side dish and you have a meal your mother would be proud of.

For a lighter version of this dish be sure to serve on warm corn tortillas and eliminate naughty cheese and creams, and instead top with a tasty homemade salsa and avocado slices.

Beef Brisket Tacos

2-4 pounds beef brisket, fat trimmed

2 ounces/pound of liquid smoke (recommend Claude's Brisket Marinade Sauce)

2 bay leaves

1 (12-ounce) beer

Corn tortillas

Salt to taste

Pepper to taste

Topping Options

Grated cheese

Crema Mexicana

Cilantro

Onions

Avocado slices

Salsa

Place all the ingredients into the slow cooker and marinate overnight.

Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.

Remove the brisket and shred the meat.

Warm corn tortillas, add shredded brisket, and garnish with your favorite toppings.

Pottery by Cherie Mahon available at cmahon@myawai.com and in the Santa Fe Art District at CoArt

Pssst…don’t forget to order the 2011 Muy Bueno Calendar here

37 Responses to “Beef Brisket Tacos”

Amy — January 15, 2011 @ 7:02 pm

Looks so easy and even more delicious! Now, equally as important, what cocktail do I pair with it?

muybuenocookbook — January 15, 2011 @ 7:04 pm

Hola Amy: Stay tuned for one of our Super Bowl favorite drinks…it pairs well with ANY Mexican meal.

Mariko — January 16, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

Beautiful. I love the pottery (my husband is a ceramicist) and this brisket looks incredible.

• muybuenocookbook replied: — January 17th, 2011 @ 9:01 am

Thank you Mariko!!!

Medifast Coupon — January 17, 2011 @ 6:07 pm

Mexicana at it’s best! These look delicious and easy to make, nice recipe for posting.

sweetlife — January 18, 2011 @ 9:46 am

How funny, we celebrated my daughter’s and dad’s bday this past weekend..and we had brisket, I have tried themed parties and my girls really didn’t go for it (thanks goodness) they enjoy family gathering with great food..
    sweetlife

• muybuenocookbook replied: — January 18th, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

I think if we had more cousins my daughters age (in the same state) she would prefer that too. She is eight and rather indoor skydive with classmates. LOCA ;) ~ Yvette

gabriellemarielopez — January 18, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

Yum! Just in time for NFL mania! Do you recommend a dark or light beer for the brisket marinade? thanks!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — January 18th, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

Hola Gabriela! I’ve made it will all types of beer and I honestly have not tasted much of a difference. We usually have Tecate, Dos XX, or Bud Light in the fridge. I refuse to use my hubby’s brewery beers because I’m not a fan. This brisket is PERFECTO with football! Everyone will LOVE you on game day ;) Stay warm!!!

Carrie — January 20, 2011 @ 9:24 am

Gorgeous. I want some now.

8. Pingback: How to Make a Mexican Meal Light and Quick « Muy Bueno Cookbook

9. Pingback: Monday Munch: Lighten up your Mexican Fare

Jina Virtue — February 1, 2011 @ 10:01 am

The Beef Brisket Tacos are a delicious, hassle-free and healthy meal, especially when served witht the Black Bean and Corn salad. I made them for my sister’s birthday celebration and everyone thoroughly enjoyed them.

Just loving the Muy Bueno recipes!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — February 1st, 2011 @ 10:14 am

Wow Jina!

I am so happy to hear you are enjoying our recipes and making them for your family and friends. We LOVE to hear our fans making our recipes. Gracias for making our day!

Sara — March 4, 2011 @ 8:52 am

I’m so glad to have finally found a place where I can get spanish recipes from spanish people! I am attempting to make your beef brisket tacos this weekend and have a question about one thing. The directions say, “Place all the ingredients into the slow cooker and marinate overnight.” Then “Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.” So… when I marinate the food overnight, do I put it in the fridge or leave it cooking overnight as I cook?
    I’m new at cooking and am trying to make more spanish food.. since I’m spanish and don’t have too much guidance in the cooking field since my mom has passed away.
    Thanks much!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — March 4th, 2011 @ 9:19 am

Hola Sara,
      So happy you found us! You honestly don’t even NEED to marinate overnight. If you have the time you can marinate the night before with all the ingredients in the refrigerator and then the next day cook in the crockpot. But it tastes just as yummy if you do not marinate overnight and just throw all the ingredients into the crock pot and slow cook. This recipe is super easy, and so I’m positive you will have a great experience with it. I hope that answers your question. I’m sorry to hear about your mom – Please know that the Muy Bueno familia is here for cooking guidance. Take care.

Colleen Nevarez — July 30, 2011 @ 10:14 pm

Those of you looking for Claude’s, Albertson’s carries it and stock it with the bbq sauces

• muybuenocookbook replied: — July 31st, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

Thanks for the tip Colleen! Its easy to find in El Paso! In Colorado I have had luck finding it at Albertson’s and Tony’s Meat Market.

Dora Hernandez-Cooper — October 4, 2011 @ 9:31 pm

Love your stories and how you relate them to food. So true, growing up I didn’t have theme parties either. Mom just cooked and invited all my friends and family. Awesome gatherings!!

• Muy Bueno Cookbook replied: — October 10th, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

Hola Dora, we didn’t have themed parties either growing up. Like you, mom just cooked and family and friends showed up. Those were the best days. Today things are a little bit more formal but our friends and neighbors now know that we too like to just make some food and invite everyone over to eat, just like we did growing up. Keeping up with the old ways in todays world is so much fun. Keep gathering!!

14. Pingback: An Interview with Muy Bueno Cookbook, My Favorite Foodies Series

15. Pingback: The Good Women of Muy Bueno Cookbook | Dos Gildas

16. Pingback: Muy Bueno Photographer « Muy Bueno Cookbook

17. Pingback: Muy Bueno Photographer | Fototails Photography

Jocelyn Estrada — July 6, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

I make this all the time!! Wow so crazy to ins someone else who makes it almost exactly like me! Only thing different, I roast mine at 250 all night long!

D's mom — January 20, 2013 @ 3:24 pm

I can’t believe how simple this recipe is and so few ingredients! I can wait to make it later this week.

• Muy Bueno replied: — January 21st, 2013 @ 10:55 am

Can’t wait to hear how you like them. I make these all the time. As a busy mom, it’s great to come home to the smell of these cooking in my crockpot at the end of the day!

20. Pingback: » Muy Bueno Cookbook: Beef Brisket Tacos » Eve's Wine 101

D's mom — February 3, 2013 @ 4:19 pm

I finally made the brisket tacos tonight and we loved them! My 6 year old picky eater ate 3. Unbelievable for him. The only issue is that I only cooked 2lbs of meat and only one of us gets the leftovers tomorrow night. Lol. Next time i’ll make more. I’m ordering a cookbook too.

• Muy Bueno replied: — February 4th, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

Wow, we love to hear stories like yours. It warms our heart to know that you tried one of our recipes, enjoyed it, along with your picky eater, and plan on making it again..Enjoy the cookbook y buen provecho!

MeMe — March 24, 2013 @ 4:56 pm

This was a total disappointment. It was flavorless. Great presentation, though.

• Muy Bueno replied: — March 24th, 2013 @ 9:53 pm

Awww I’m sorry to hear that Meme. Did you use Claude’s Brisket Marinade Sauce?

23. Pingback: Blogger Spotlight | Muy Bueno |

24. Pingback: Q AND A: Celebrity Chef, Yvette Marquez-Sharpnack

Andrew — February 2, 2014 @ 6:24 pm

These were a great super bowl treat. If there was anything disappointing it was that the house smelled so good all day while it was cooking that the taste couldn’t possibly live up to the scent!

26. Pingback: 77 Delicious Crock Pot Recipes - Five in Ohio