Sparkling Hibiscus Champagne Cocktail

I thought we’d close out the year with a twist to traditional champagne. It’s a crowd-pleaser and the perfect addition to your New Year’s Eve house party menu!

This sparkling champagne cocktail, with the addition of this edible hibiscus flower, is such a pretty libation. This elegantly delicious flute-filled drink is gorgeous and inviting. What more can you ask for in a cocktail? Less is more and this drink is as easy to prepare as it is stylish.

We would like to wish you a warm, fun, and wonderful new year and thank you for your readership and all your support this year!

From the bottom of our corazones, thank you so much for your support. We have so many fun new surprises right around the corner (recipes in printed magazines, a site redesign, food photography and staging classes, cooking lessons, video recipes, and the details of the Muy Bueno Cookbook). We look forward to 2011 and can’t wait to share all the exciting details with you all.

Raise your glass with me and let’s toast to a healthy, joyful, and prosperous 2011, Salud!!

Print Save

Sparkling Hibiscus Champagne Cocktail

1 wild hibiscus flower

Champagne or Prosecco

Position the hibiscus flower at the bottom of a champagne flute and slowly fill it with your favorite bubbly. As the champagne fizzles, the hibiscus flower will open up and bloom in your glass. Once you drink your bubbly, refill it. Or, just nibble on the edible flower.

The preserved blossoms are available at Williams-Sonoma.

Subscribe to our blog and we will email you a PDF with three cocktail recipe cards

Pssst…don’t forget to order the 2011 Muy Bueno Calendar here.

17 Responses to “Sparkling Hibiscus Champagne Cocktail”

Joyce — December 29, 2010 @ 11:07 pm

Oooh these are so tasty! I had these for my 50th birthday party two years ago. They were a BIG hit everyone loved them. Happy New Years my friend!! xo

• muybuenocookbook replied: — December 30th, 2010 @ 8:56 am

Feliz Año Nuevo Joyce!

Melissa — December 30, 2010 @ 5:47 am

We always do a hibiscus when we have brunch, because I cannot do the traditional Mimosa (can’t take the acidity in orange juice) Have never actually put the flower in the flute though…sounds like something we should try for New Years!

Melissa — December 30, 2010 @ 5:50 am

Oh, I guess I forgot to mention, our “hibiscus” is made with cranberry juice and champagne

• muybuenocookbook replied: — December 30th, 2010 @ 8:56 am

That sounds yummy Melissa!

Cooking in Mexico — December 30, 2010 @ 7:48 am

How lovely, a colorful blossom with bubbles. We will be having champagne at a New Year’s Day brunch. I will try this by adding hibiscus flowers — known as jamaica in Mexico — to our glasses. I believe I can attain the same effect by first re-hydrating dried jamaica blossoms purchased here for making tea.

Feliz Año Nuevo!

Kathleen

• muybuenocookbook replied: — December 30th, 2010 @ 9:00 am

Let me know how that goes Kathleen. I wondered about trying that myself. These flowers we bought are in a syrup giving the blossom a sweet raspberry-rhubarb flavor. Jamaica tends to be tart without sugar, so let me know how that tastes.

Have a lovely brunch amiga! Feliz Año Nuevo! ~Yvette

mehalv — December 31, 2010 @ 11:42 am

So elegant! Champagne looks lovely.

culinaryneophyte — December 31, 2010 @ 2:28 pm

Beautiful photo!

Cooking in Mexico — January 1, 2011 @ 8:57 pm

I soaked jamaica flowers (the dry kind used for tea) in a hot simple syrup of one part organic sugar, one part water. At our friends’ champagne brunch today, a flower was put into each glass. It was quite festive looking, though the flowers floated to the top quickly. Nonetheless, it was very pretty, and added color and a bit of flavor to the champagne, similar to adding cassis to champagne. Thank you for this new idea.

Kathleen

• muybuenocookbook replied: — January 2nd, 2011 @ 3:32 pm

Hola Kathleen: Great idea! I’m sure its a lot less expensive too. LOL! Next time I’ll try that, although I like the flowers that I used because the stay put at the bottom. The flowers almost look like glass — Its an awesome look! ~ Yvette

mantantalon — January 24, 2011 @ 10:09 am

You know, Ive tried these before but I really didn’t like them. It was too cough-syrupy for me. They’re beautiful though.

Apparently, there’s some sort of appetizer you can make with these and chevre… The company that makes the hibiscus and syrup had them at a food show one year.

I google it and found it, lol: http://alibuys.ca/uploads/Wild_Hibiscus_Food_Recipes_1_.pdf

• muybuenocookbook replied: — January 25th, 2011 @ 10:45 am

WOW! Thanks for sharing the Hibiscus Food Recipes! I’m liking some of those ideas!!! Time to play in the test kitchen!

9. Pingback: Salud! To great things in 2012 « Muy Bueno Cookbook

Malice — June 19, 2012 @ 3:09 pm

You know what would be so cute? Putting two raspberries in it to float on top. I’d love to make it for Valentine’s.

Naina Moondra — October 24, 2012 @ 2:02 pm

I tried this recipe and it’s amazing! but the syrup it’s quite sugary so.. watch out! hehehe I think the flower stays in the bottom because it’s soaked up in syrup because when you eat it you can taste the syrup inside the flower…. well it helps to make it stay in the bottom and not to float =)

• Muy Bueno replied: — October 25th, 2012 @ 2:42 am

Naina, thanks for trying out this lovely and easy sparkling cocktail, the hibiscus in the syrup is quite thick, helping it to stay at the bottom. Did your hibiscus flower open up? If you leave it in the champagne long enough it opens up beautifully…salud!