Persimmon Margarita

Whether you’re celebrating Halloween or Día de los Muertos this cocktail will help you celebrate in great spirits — they’re simply to die for!

Fall is here and the arrival of persimmons is worth celebrating. I did not even know about this fruit until a couple of years ago and boy I plan on making up for lost time. I know that there are numerous culinary applications for persimmons, but I prefer to drink them. This twist on a classic margarita is a great way to make the most of persimmon season, which is at its peak in November. The persimmon blends beautifully with tequila, and the cinnamon-sugar rim brings everything together seamlessly.

Ingredients

1 3/4 ounce tequila reposado

2–3 non-astringent persimmons, such as fuyu, peeled

1/2 ounce Agave Nectar or simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water, dissolved)

1 ounce lime juice, freshly-squeezed

Ice cubes

Cinnamon-sugar for glass rims

Lime wheel for garnish

Directions

On a salad plate, make a cinnamon and sugar mixture for the glass rim. Wet the rim of a margarita or martini glass with a lime wedge and dip it in the cinnamon and sugar mixture.

Puree persimmons (remove skin), in a blender or juicer. Add agave nectar or simple syrup to taste. In a shaker, combine the tequila, 2 ounces of persimmon puree and the lime juice. Shake the mixture with ice and strain into the cinnamon and sugar rimmed glass. Garnish with a lime wheel.

30 Responses to “Persimmon Margarita”

Max Young — October 22, 2010 @ 3:49 am

This looks good!!! if U ever need a guinea pig to try out this drink let me know!

Loriana — October 22, 2010 @ 1:21 pm

That sounds delicious… does it taste good tequila free?? as sad as that sounds. :(

• muybuenocookbook replied: — October 22nd, 2010 @ 7:43 pm

I’m sure it would be be very yummy without the tequila. Give it a try!

jeanine — October 22, 2010 @ 9:17 pm

My kids actually had to have the non-alcohol version and sucked it right up! :-)

Cooking in Mexico — October 22, 2010 @ 10:38 pm

Did you use the white, pithy part of the persimmon also, or just the skin and seeds minus the white part?

I saw beautiful, huge persimmons in the store yesterday. I’ll have to go back and buy a couple.

Kathleen

• muybuenocookbook replied: — October 23rd, 2010 @ 2:47 am

We tested with and without the peel and I would suggest without the peel — I’ve edited the recipe.
      And the Fuyu (flattened tomato shape) are sweet and the Hachiya (acorn like shape) is tart.

JehanP — October 23, 2010 @ 1:57 pm

Love margaritas, I’ve never had this kind but I do love persimmons also. The combination has to be phenomenal!

Ana Lilian Flores — October 24, 2010 @ 5:44 am

I am thrilled to try these! I will have to impress mis amigas with this!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — October 25th, 2010 @ 4:06 pm

Keep us posted Ana! Your amigas will LOVE them!

Quay Po Cooks — October 24, 2010 @ 9:54 am

I love margaritas. My hubby makes great margaritas but had never tried one that has persimmons. I must get him to try your recipe.

• muybuenocookbook replied: — October 25th, 2010 @ 4:08 pm

My hubby loves margaritas too – especially fruity ones ;)

8. Pingback: Tweets that mention Persimmon Margarita « Muy Bueno Cookbook -- Topsy.com

9. Pingback: Lovemade » trick or treat

10. Pingback: Monday Munch

thestantonmag — November 1, 2010 @ 8:12 pm

We LOVE the idea of using Persimmon but had no idea how to…until NOW! Can’t wait to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing your beautiful blog with us!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — November 2nd, 2010 @ 4:28 pm

You are welcome! And thank YOU!!! We look forward to sharing more Muy Bueno recipes with TSM.

Noelle — November 24, 2010 @ 11:10 pm

I am going to try this!! I just posted Tropical Persimmon Muffins and mentioned that I needed to try NEW recipes. I might just have to make this tomorrow for Thanksgiving!!

Noelle — November 26, 2010 @ 8:16 pm

Made these tonight! http://www.singerskitchen.com/2010/11/persimmon-margaritas.html

• muybuenocookbook replied: — November 29th, 2010 @ 4:04 pm

Thanks for the link love Noelle! Please continue to spread the word about our blog! We have some really exciting holiday recipes coming in December! We are thrilled you found us and excited to have a new tester on board the Muy Bueno train!

idreamofgreenie — December 2, 2010 @ 10:53 am

I NEED to make this. Margaritas are my favorite drinks and I don’t like when they are too saccharine sweet plus I love persimmons. Thanks for sharing :)

• muybuenocookbook replied: — December 2nd, 2010 @ 11:11 am

Who doesn’t LOVE margaritas? Did you see our Cranberry Margarita post? That one is super yummy too!!! Stay tuned for more fun festive cocktails coming soon!!!

15. Pingback: Preparing for La Navidad « Muy Bueno Cookbook

16. Pingback: Salud! To National Margarita Day! « Muy Bueno Cookbook

Cookie and Kate — November 19, 2011 @ 10:19 am

What a beautiful cocktail! I have reposado tequila, I’ll have to look for persimmons so I can make this drink!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — November 22nd, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

Its worth the persimmon hunt ;)

a coook from Seattle — November 21, 2011 @ 10:56 am

I see both the Hachiya and Fuyu persimmons in your pictures. I am a big fan of them and just peel, cut and eat the Fuyus. The Hachiya you have to wait until they’re almost mushy before they are not too tart. Did you happen to make a drint with that variety? I can get either, but thought one where the fruit was already softer (the ripe Hachiya) would work better. What is your experience? Can’t wait to try one!

• muybuenocookbook replied: — November 22nd, 2011 @ 1:33 pm

Hello cook from Seattle! We prefer to use Fuyus, because they are sweeter. But, we have used both and adjusted the agave nectar to sweeten as needed. Sounds like you have great options in your area. LUCKY! Salud!

19. Pingback: Epiphany Dinner « Muy Bueno Cookbook